What is Ignatian Pedagogy?
This page contains articles and videos that help to define Ignatian Pedagogy. At FCIP, and at LUC more broadly, Ignatian Pedagogy is one of the main ways we bring the mission and vision of Jesuit education to life in the university’s educational spaces. As you will learn by perusing these articles and videos, Ignatian Pedagogy is an approach to teaching that is grounded in Jesuit values and Ignatian Spirituality. The articles in videos on this page define what we mean by Jesuit values and explain how Ignatian Pedagogy is born out of these 500-year-old traditions. As educators at LUC, it is important that you understand how to use Ignatian Pedagogy in your teaching, so that you can bring the mission to life in your classroom and educational spaces. These articles and videos will show how this unique pedagogical approach contributes to your students' learning and development, both in and outside of the classroom.
This short article describes why Ignatian Pedagogy is valued in Jesuit education and walks you through the Ignatian Pedagogy Paradigm: Why is Ignatian Pedagogy Valued in Jesuit Education?
In this short video, FCIP Co-Director Bridget Colacchio provides a brief introduction to Ignatian Pedagogy.
These articles are frequently cited in the literature about Jesuit education and Ignatian Pedagogy:
- Mountin, Susan and Nowacek, Rebecca, "Reflection in Action: A Signature Ignatian Pedagogy for the 21st Century."(2012). Theology Faculty Research and Publications. 177.
- This article contextualizes Ignatian pedagogy within the scholarship of teaching and learning, looks at the history of Jesuit education, and turns to ways IP can function in today's schools.
- Jesuit Schools: A Living Tradition in the 21st Century - An Ongoing Exercise of Discernment. ICAJE (The International Commission on the Apostolate on Jesuit Education). (2019).
- This is a longer work, meant to be used as a resource. It was written as a guide for universities around the world.
These are reference guides to use to find out more about Ignatian Pedagogy:
- Ignatian Pedagogy Bibliography | Faculty Center for Ignatian Pedagogy
- In partnership with the LUC Library, FCIP curated resources about the history of Jesuit education and Ignatian Pedagogy.
- Ignatian Pedagogy - The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Research Guides
- In partnership with the LUC lLibrary and other collaborators, FCIP has curated several resources about the Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm and its uses.
- Conversations on Jesuit Higher Education
- This site includes access to over 280 digital articles, PDFs of past and current print issues, and a (still growing!) array of podcasts and webinars.