Skip to main content

Academic Policies

Common Questions about Academic Policies

Below you will find a number of frequently asked questions regarding Academic Policies here at Loyola University Chicago. 

Grades and GPA

How do I calculate my GPA?

You can use the GPA calculator Loyola provides: https://www.luc.edu/advising/gpa_calculator.shtml. Feel free to meet with an advisor if you have questions about this calculator tool.

Taking Classes Elsewhere

I want to take a course at another institution over the summer. Is that possible?

Please visit this website for further details on the parameters around taking course work elsewhere: https://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/registrationrecords/pdfs/Appeal%20to%20Take%20Courses%20Elsewhere.pdf


Registration Errors

I keep getting an error message about a hold on my account when I try to enroll in a class. What is happening?

Students can have various types of holds on their accounts, including: Immunization Hold; Probation Hold; Bursar Hold; Dean’s Hold etc. Please contact your academic advisor or stop by The Hub to figure out what needs to be done to resolve the hold. Only once the hold is removed will you be able to enroll in classes, and holds are not removed immediately; sometimes it takes a few business days for the hold to be removed.

Withdrawing From A Class

Does a W affect my GPA?

No, a W does not affect your GPA.

Does having a W affect my financial aid?

FSYA strongly advises that students check with The Hub before dropping a class. Even if dropping a class will not put you below full-time status, it is best that you make sure any grants or scholarships do not require you to maintain a course load above 12 hours. If the W will put you below 12 hours, then you must speak to someone at the Hub first to discuss what effects, if any, it will have on your financial aid.

I tried withdrawing from a class, but I received an error message. What should I do?

If you receive an error message, make note of the details. You are encouraged to come to a walk-in session in Sullivan 260 so that an advisor can assist you.

I would like to talk to an advisor before I make my final decision. Is that possible?

Absolutely! You can reach out to your assigned advisor or utilize express/drop-in advising to speak with an advisor.

If I complete the class down the road will the W be removed?

No, the W will remain on your transcript.

If I decide to withdraw from a class, do I need to have an advisor do it for me?

First-semester first-year students, student athletes, and some students on academic probation are unable to make changes to their schedules in the fall semester, including withdrawing from a class. Therefore, a first-semester first-year, or a student on academic probation will need to see an advisor to withdraw from a class. After the fall of their first-year, all students in good standing can withdraw from a class as long as the withdrawal will not put him/her below full-time status.

Is it bad to have a W on my transcript?

In general, having one or two Ws should not be detrimental to your future. However, if you have a pattern of several Ws on your transcript, it may cause concern to a person who is evaluating your academic record for employment, admissions into a graduate program and/or a scholarship application. Please note:
  • Pre-health students are encouraged to speak to a Pre-Health Advisor before dropping a science course (https://www.luc.edu/prehealth/aboutus/contactvisitus/)
  • Nursing students should speak to their academic advisor in the School of Nursing before dropping one of their required nursing classes.

I’m just not sure if I should withdraw and get a W, or if I should try to stick it out.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but here are some steps you can take before withdrawing from a class:
  • Speak to the instructor: Attend his/her office hours or make an appointment to discuss your concerns about your performance in the class. Ask for your instructor’s advice—Do they think it is likely you can pass the course? What would you have to do from that point on in order to earn a passing grade?
  • Get support: Contact the Center for Tutoring and Academic Excellence about their tutoring services (http://www.luc.edu/tutoring/). The Writing Center for help writing papers (http://www.luc.edu/writing/home/). University Libraries for help with finding research for papers and projects (http://libraries.luc.edu/).
  • Weigh your options: After speaking with your instructor, take some time to honestly reflect on whether or not you think you will be able to successfully complete the course. Here are some questions you might want to ask yourself:
    • Do I understand the material enough to be successful in the course?
    • Will having to put in the extra effort and energy for this class affect my other courses? (e.g. Instead of getting As or Bs in my other courses, I could potentially end up with Bs or Cs).
    • If I am on scholarship or academic probation, and don’t end up passing this course, what are the repercussions?
    • Will withdrawing from this class affect my four-year plan or progress toward graduation? (You should consult with your advisor to determine this answer).
  • Meet with your academic advisor in First and Second Year Advising!

What does a W mean?

A W indicates that a student enrolled in class, but withdrew after the first week of classes.

What happens if I want to withdraw from the class after the W drop deadline has passed?

Students cannot withdraw from a course after the deadline has passed, except under the Emergency Withdrawal process, which allows students to withdraw from the university (including all courses) if an emergency arises. For more information on the withdrawal policies, please visit the Undergraduate Academic Standards and Regulations in the Academic Catalog.

What if withdrawing from a class puts me below full-time?

If the W will drop you below 12 hours, then you must speak to someone at the Hub first to discuss what effects, if any, it will have on your financial aid.

If you live on campus, you will need to get written permission from the Housing Assignments Coordinator, Melissa Bagdon (mbagdon@luc.edu), to remain living on campus as a part-time student. Once you receive permission from Residence Life to remain in your residence hall at part-time status, you should print out the email and bring it to First and Second Year Advising so that an advisor can process the withdrawal.

When is the last day I can drop a class with a W?

You can find the last date to drop for each semester on the Academic Calendar: http://www.luc.edu/academics/schedules/index.shtml. Make sure you are looking at the correct semester and year.

Common Questions about Academic Policies

Below you will find a number of frequently asked questions regarding Academic Policies here at Loyola University Chicago.