Loyola University Chicago


Department of Fine and Performing Arts


Declaring a Music Major

Students who wish to major or minor in Music should:

  1. Attend a music major audition in addition to submitting a Loyola University Chicago admissions application.
  2. Complete an Advising Form. A music advisor will contact you shortly thereafter with next steps.

Declaring a Music Minor

Students may declare a music minor through LOCUS. A document with instructions for changing a major/minor is located on the homepage of LOCUS. Students in the College of Arts and Sciences may only change a major within CAS. Students who wish to switch to a major in a different school or college must apply for an internal transfer. Students may not change their major after they have applied for graduation. 

For more information on academic advising for the College of Arts & Sciences, visit their Academic Advising page.

If you are interested in declaring a music minor, or have already done so, complete an Advising Form as soon as possible. A music advisor will contact you shortly thereafter.


Academic Advisor / Faculty Advisor

All undergraduate students at Loyola are assigned one academic advisor.

  • If you are a freshman or sophomore, your advisor is in the Office of First and Second Year Advising.
  • If you are a junior or senior, Advising is handled by the Deans Office of the College of Arts and Sciences.
  • If you declare a Music major, the Department will assign you a faculty advisor to advise on music courses. 

Meeting with your Advisor

Majors and minors should consult their advisor regularly, for assistance with meeting major and minor requirements, more general curricular advice, and career suggestions. Consulting with the advisor may be especially helpful in November and April, when students register for the upcoming semesters. Advisors will also give information on auditions and performances.

To find out who your advisor is, log into LOCUS and look at the bottom right of the screen.   

If you believe you are a Music major and do not see an advisor, please complete an Advising Form. Someone will contact you with next steps.

Course Requirements

Click the links below for details on course requirements.

Credits needed to complete the Major: 42

Credits needed to complete the Minor: 21

Study Abroad

The Office for International Programs (OIP) offers over 100 programs in 55 countries with a center in Rome. OIP is dedicated to making sure that all students have the opportunity to participate in a program. For more information, click here.

If you are planning studying abroad, you may need to seek out early course approval for major, minor, and core credits. It is imperative that you meet with your faculty advisor to create a plan to stay on track for graduation.