Applied Music is a one-credit course consisting of individual private lessons, culminating in a juried performance at the end of the semester. Additional performance opportunities may include studio recitals, master classes, and the Honors Recital. Click here for a list of the Applied Lessons we offer.
There are two categories of applied lessons:
MUSC 280: Applied Music is a one-credit course consisting of a thirty-minute lesson each week.
MUSC 380: Advanced Applied Music is a one-credit course consisting of a sixty-minute lesson each week. Music 380 lessons are reserved for Music Majors only.
Enrollment in Applied Music is not guaranteed and students will be asked to apply each semester to receive applied instruction. Students whose major or minor require Applied Lessons will be given priority according to the following structure:
- Music Major Students: One 380 and up to two additional 280 each semester (Must submit a separate application for each course)
- Music Minor Students: One 280 each semester
- Non-Music Students: By audition only as space allows (See audition instructions below)
Returning Students: Reenrollment
Students who wish to be considered for enrollment in Applied Music should complete and submit the application by the deadline listed below. Please note, reenrollment applications are for the same course in which you are currently enrolled. If you withdrew from the course, or are applying for a different course, please follow the new student guidelines. If your application is approved, the department will enroll you in the appropriate course(s). Department consent is required for all Applied Music courses and students will not be considered for enrollment without having submitted an application.
If the applications are submitted late, students may not be guaranteed placement in their studio.
New Students: Audition Information
All new students - regardless of major or minor - must submit the application with an audition video by the due date to be considered for Applied Lessons.
- The audition video should include a performance of one selection that demonstrates the student's ability. Students can choose a complete piece or an excerpt in any style and there is no requirement of length.
- Video should be uploaded to YouTube, marked as "Unlisted", and the URL should be copy/pasted into the online application form.
Spring 2023 Applied Music Timeline
|Application Period||October 12 - October 26|
Application goes live
|Application Deadline for Returning and New Students||October 26|
|Enrollment status notifications for Students||November 2|
|Department will enroll Approved Students||November 7|
|Registration for Spring 2023||November 7|
Instrumentalists: contact Haysun Kang at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vocalists: contact Kirsten Hedegaard at email@example.com