The Department of Campus Recreation strives to provide a diverse selection of quality recreational activities for individuals to pursue fitness, wellness, and leisure opportunities which enhance their personal development and establish habits for a healthy lifestyle.
Halas Recreation Center
1. Only close-top water bottles are allowed.
2. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs and weapons are prohibited in the facility. Individuals under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to vacate the premises and may face further disciplinary action.
3. Due to danger to other patrons and potential damage to the building, some unorganized and/or unsupervised activities are prohibited. Examples include but are not limited to soccer, baseball, roller hockey, lacrosse, rugby and football. The equipment associated with these activities is prohibited in these spaces.
4. Illegal entry, including a non-member using a member’s ID to access the building, is punishable by immediate removal from the building, Campus Recreation and OSCCR sanctions, suspension, and/or possible criminal charges.
5. Halas Recreation Center is a family friendly environment. Please keep language appropriate.
6. Campus Recreation retains the right to record your participation and/or appearance in any Campus Recreation programming and informal recreation on video tape, audio tape, film, photograph or any other medium and to use such recordings in all mediums, including but not limited to, magazines, newspapers, periodicals, radio, television, the World Wide Web, other news and educational media, and all means of communication now and in the future.
7. Please refrain from taking photographs or videos (including social media posts) of others while in Halas Recreation Center. Videos and photography in locker rooms and restrooms are strictly prohibited. Violation of this policy may result in loss of use of the facility. We ask that all patrons be mindful of any photos or videos (including social media posts) and that they do not inadvertently include unwilling participants. Class projects that may include photographs or videos of participants or the facility must be approved by Campus Recreation at least 3 business days in advance.
8. With the exception of certified Service Animals, animals are not allowed in the Halas Recreation Center, on the Sean Earl Field and Track, or at Hoyne Field.
9. No wheeled recreational vehicles of any kind (skateboards, bikes, scooters, roller skates, hover boards, etc.) are allowed in the Halas Recreation Center.
10. Halas Recreation Center facilities may not be used for private instruction or to provide services not approved in writing by the Department of Campus Recreation. This includes but is not limited to outside Personal Trainers and Swimming Instructors.
11. Loyola University Chicago Student Complex is not responsible for items lost in and around Student Complex facilities. Items that are not claimed within two weeks (10 business days) will be turned over to the Campus Safety office and/or donated to local charities. For IDs, emails will be sent to the owner.
12. Members are responsible for the equipment checked out during the duration of their visit, and they must return the individual item that was checked out with their Loyola University Chicago ID. Failure to return the checked out equipment in the same condition in which it was received will result in replacement fees being assessed.
13. All patrons are encouraged to secure their own possessions by using available daily use or rental lockers. In the event of theft, Halas Recreation staff members will file an incident report and contact Campus Safety.
14. Shirts and athletic (closed-toed) footwear must be worn at all times. Five-Finger shoes (and all other brands) are only allowed on cardio equipment. Only full athletic shoes (basketball, cross trainers, or running shoes) are allowed on the selectorized equipment and free weight area. No full bare chests, sport bras or midriff regions are allowed in the fitness or court spaces. Athletic tops such as crop tops, razor backs, string t shirts will be allowed as long as they cover the majority of the midriff and back. This is for safety and sanitary reasons as well as reduction of sweat on flooring and shared equipment. Patrons are reminded to wipe down equipment before and after use with provided sanitation spray.
14. Patrons are restricted from using personal speakers or sound systems in the facility. They are allowed to use headphones, but may not have devices that output sound for others.
In all fitness spaces (cardio rooms, weight rooms, studios), patrons must:
- Wear appropriate athletic attire that covers the chest and buttocks. Attire that could cause damage to equipment is prohibited.
- Wear athletic shoes covering the entire foot at all times, including when stretching. Only exception is during specific group fitness classes when communicated by the instructor.
- Discontinue exercises identified by Campus Recreation staff as dangerous to oneself or other patrons, or that could cause damage to equipment or spaces.
- Wipe sweat off equipment and upholstery with designated cleaning supplies before and after use.
- Store personal items in a locker or storage cubby, not on the floor or on machines.
- Be courteous to other patrons and Campus Recreation staff.
- Refrain from profanity, excessively loud language, and loud grunting.
- Refrain from taking photographs or videos while in Halas Recreation Center.
- Refrain from bringing food in the fitness areas. Water and sports drinks in unbreakable, closed containers are permitted.
- Report any problem or concern to the Campus Recreation staff.
- Refrain from participating in any personal training or group fitness classes (as a participant or trainer/instructor) that are not provided by Campus Recreation approved staff. Any outside trainers/instructors caught using the facility for training purposes will be asked to leave the facility.
- Be at least 14 years of age. Children under the age of 14 are not permitted in the fitness spaces.
In the weight room, patrons must:
- Unload all bars as well as re-rack all weight plates, bumper plates, dumbbells and other equipment after each use.
- Use collars on bars at all times.
- Use a spotter when needed for lifting free weights.
- Refrain from slamming or dropping weights from any area above the waist.
- Refrain from Olympic-style barbell lifts (cleans and snatches), with the exception of hang cleans. Full Olympic barbell lifts are not permitted. Dumbbell and kettlebell variations are permitted when space allows.
- Allow other patrons to work in while doing multiple sets on equipment.
- Refrain from using chalk. All chalk use is prohibited.
- Refrain from removing equipment from the functional training studios.
- Refrain from moving benches and racks, as well as adjustable benches.
- Return all equipment check-out items to the Fitness Supervisor on duty before leaving.
In the functional training studios, patrons must:
- Leave the functional training studios 10 minutes prior to a scheduled group fitness class, or upon request by Campus Recreation staff. When available, the functional training studios can be used for personal use by one or more individuals (not for groups).
In the cardio spaces (cardio bridge, cardio room), patrons must:
- Limit cardio usage to 30 minutes to allow others access during peak periods.
In the group fitness studios (HRC1, HRC2, Spin), patrons must:
- Register in advance and check-in at the front desk of Halas Recreation Center in order to participate in group fitness classes.
- Arrive early (at least 5 minutes prior) and avoid leaving early for group fitness classes. Late arrivals are not allowed in the room after the start of class. If you must leave early, notify the instructor at the beginning of class.
- Refrain from mobile phone use when a class is in session.
- Follow the directions provided by the group fitness instructor, regarding room set up and safety directions.
- Understand, instructors reserve the right to cancel a group fitness class if two or fewer participants are in attendance.
- Leave the group fitness studios 10 minutes prior to a scheduled group fitness class, or upon request by Campus Recreation staff. When available, the studios can be used for personal use by one or more individuals (not for groups).
- Refrain from use of the facility stereo equipment, which is prohibited.
- Return all equipment to the studio after use and not bring any additional equipment into the studio, with the exception of fitness items from equipment checkout.
1. No items are to be stored inside the curtain area on the courts. Items need to be placed in lockers or on the hooks on the outer walls.
2. Dunking is allowed, but do not hang on the rims.
3. Badminton is on a reservation system. Reservations should be made 24 hours in advance.
4. Baseballs, footballs, frisbees, lacrosse balls and rugby balls must be thrown inside the curtain areas and is up to the discretion of the manager on duty based on safety issues.
5. In-line skating is not allowed in the facility.
6. All courts, with the exception of badminton, are on a first come first serve basis.
7. Individuals who wish to set up volleyball nets need to contact the Building Manager on Duty to ensure that it will not affect scheduled activities or other informal recreational users.
1. Cell phone and camera usage is not permitted in the locker rooms.
2. An All Gender Locker Room is available, located on the main level of the Halas Recreation Center, down the hallway toward the pool.
3. Children 5 years of age or older are not permitted in the opposite sex locker room. Families are encouraged to use the All Gender Locker Room.
3. Two All Gender Restrooms are available, located on the main level, near the All Gender Locker Room, down the hallway toward the pool.
4. Sauna guidelines:
a. Due to extreme temperatures, it is recommended that you consult your physician before use.
b. Allow at least 30 minutes of cool down after exercising.
c. A shower must be taken before entering.
d. Recommended use time is a maximum of 20 minutes.
e. Do not throw water on the rocks.
f. No food or drink allowed.
g. Children under 14 years of age are not permitted.
The Halas Pool is an 8 lane, 25 yard pool that reaches 7 feet deep and will allow for both lap swim and space for free swim. Kickboards, pull-buoys, and aqua jogging belts are provided for members’ use. The Halas Pool can be accessed through the locker rooms or the hallway by the Family Changing Room.
WTC Fitness Center
Located on the third floor of the Terry Student Center, the WTC Fitness Center features the latest cardio equipment (including 4 bike, 4 ellipticals and 4 treadmills, each with interactive workout screens), as well as locker room and shower facilities.