FNAR 380: Visual Communication Internship
The internship is a vital part of the educational experience for those students concentrating in Visual Communication. It prepares the student for an entry-level career or for graduate school admission. The internship is structured as an independent study course taken for credit, supervised by the student’s advisor. It is required of all Visual Communication majors. See your advisor when you are ready to enroll.
- Only fine arts majors are allowed to register in the fine arts internship course.
- It is the student’s responsibility to arrange for an internship with an appropriate business in the Chicago area.
- Internships may only be taken for credit.
- The student must have completed Visual Communication I and II with a C or better.
- Arrangements for the internship must be completed before registering for credit.
- Approval of the internship by the Director of Fine Arts or advisor must happen prior to registration.
Guidelines for Credit:
- Three hours of academic credit are assigned unless otherwise arranged.
- Students need to work a minimum of 200 hours of total time in their internship. A suggested structure is 15 hours per week times 14 weeks.
- A positive evaluation is required from the employer for granting of credit. This evaluation is to be documented using a form completed by the employer as well as by telephone interview(s) between the student’s advisor and the employer.
Click to see the FNAR 380 Guidelines & Evaluation form.