Undergraduate Degree Programs
Video created in collaboration with the Department's Undergraduate Learning Committee; recordings by Sandra Sullivan-Dunbar & Teresa Calpino
Majors and Minors in Theology & Religious Studies
The Major and Minor in Theology and Religious Studies will provide you with the opportunity to examine in both breadth and depth either the Christian theological tradition or the contemporary field of Religious Studies. The Department has seven different programs for you to choose--detailed below. The Major requires 12 three-credit courses, while the minor requires 6 three-credit courses (up to three of which can come from Core Requirements). Theology and Religious Studies majors receive faculty advising to facilitate their progress through the major.
- Major in Theology
- Major in Religious Studies
- Minor in Theology
- Minor in Religious Studies
- Minor in Pastoral Leadership
- Ten-Course Interdisciplinary Major in Religion
If you know you are interested in a Theology or Religious Studies major and would like to continue a graudate degree, you might consider our B.A./M.A. degree in Theology.
Please take note of the University's double-dipping policy, which states that students may not major and minor in the same discipline. Follow these guidelines below:
- Majors: Not less than 21 credit hours in the individual student’s transcript must be unique to each major; that is, the courses in question are considered as actually fulfilling requirements of one major, not of more than one major
- Minors and interdisciplinary minors: not less than 8 credit hours in the individual student’s transcript must be unique to each minor; that is, the courses in question are considered as actually fulfilling requirements of one minor, not of more than one minor or major.
- General exceptions to Rules 2 and 3 will be made if approved by the chairs/directors of the department(s)/program(s) housing each affected major and minor. A list of standing general exceptions will be maintained by the Dean's office.
- Individual student exceptions may be made in appropriate cases by department chairs and program directors.
- Departments and Programs may enforce stricter double-dipping policies than those stated above, which also should be provided to the Dean’s Office.
Interested in one of these Majors or Minors? Contact Dr. Lauren O'Connell (firstname.lastname@example.org), the Theology Department's Undergraduate Program Director, or Randall Newman (email@example.com), Program Coordinator.