Food and Housing Resources for Students


What is Food Insecurity?

Food insecurity is the limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods, or the ability to acquire such foods in a socially acceptable manner. The most extreme form is often accompanied with physiological sensations of hunger.

Access Food Security Resources

There are two ways you can receive immediate support:

  • Iggy's Cupboard is an initiative led by Commuter Student Life (CSL) and meant to offer short term resources to Loyola students experiencing temporary hardship. Click here to submit a request for food items. Please note that you do not have to be a commuter student to receive food security resources.
  • If you are in need of a long-term plan of action, please submit a CARE Referral, and a staff member will email you to explore additional options.

Click here to submit a CARE Referral.

Learn more about Food Insecurity

Take time to read the full reports listed below:

What is Housing Insecurity?

Housing insecurity includes a broader set of challenges such as the inability to pay rent or utilities or the need to move frequently. All of these challenges affect students, and research suggest that it is more common to endure them during college than to have all of one’s needs met (Goldrick, et. al., 2018).

Homelessness means that a person is without a place to live, often residing in a shelter, an automobile, an abandoned building or outside.

Exploring Housing Resources on and off Campus

Place4Students is a platform for Loyola students to find apartments in the Rogers Park and Edgewater neighborhood. When utilizing this website, be sure to create a profile and use your Loyola email so that the webpage recognizes you as a Loyola student. You can use this site to find a roommate and secure an apartment off campus. 


On-Campus Housing is also a place to consider housing. For price ranges for doubles and triples visit Department of Residence Life’s website




Get Support from Loyola Staff

If you are experiencing or know someone who is experiencing housing insecurity/ homelessness, please submit a CARE Referral by clicking here and a staff member will contact that student.