Hille Haker Public Lectures
- August 27-30, 2019 International Conference of the European Society of Catholic Theology, Bratislava. : “Hope”: Keynote Lecture: „Information or Communication – The Loss of the Language of the Human”
- July 14-18, 2019: Bad Genes and Parental Responsibility. On j. Habermas’ Concept of Unverfügbarkeit and Unantastbarkeit. Workshop of the International Network of Bioethics, Dublin
- June, 27-30, 2019: Societas Ethica Annual Conference, Munich: Digital Humanities. Comment on A. Feenberg: Internet Ethics.
- May 29, 2019: Northwestern University, Evanston: Course Presentation on Gene Editing
- May 20-22, 2019 Richard McCormick Endowed Chair & Loyola University Chicago Medical School in Cooperation with Frankfurt University, Germany: Medical Ethics in Health Care Chaplaincy: Host of a Visit from German Hospital Chaplains, including Visits to Loyola Medical School, Northwestern University Hospital, a half-day Seminar on “Suffering,” and a day-long Seminar on Social Bioethics. Presentation and Chair of the Meeting (with Michael McCarthy and Gwendolin Wanderer)
- May, 8-11, 2019: Critical Theory Conference, Rome (Loyola Rome Campus). Keynote Lecture: “There is a secret appointment` between past generations and the present one.” – Walter Benjamin’s Concept of History Reconsidered.
- January 13-16, 2019: International Workshop at the Brocher Foundation, Geneva, Switzerland: Engineering Future Generations? The New Debate about Societal Governance, Public Engagement, and Human Gene Editing for Reproduction. Lecture: Gene Editing – Ethical Aspects
- January 9-11, 2019: Medical Ethics in Health Care Chaplaincy, Certification Course: Narrative Ethics (2-day session)
- October 18-20, 2018: American Society of Bioethics and the Humanities, Healthcare Chaplaincy, Ethics Education, and the Value of a Narrative Approach (with M. McCarthy, C. Mandry, G. Wanderer)
- November 8-9, 2018: Swiss National Ethics Committee Conference Enhancement: Keynote Lecture “Enhancement as Ideology”
- August 26, 2018 Societas Ethica Annual Conference 2019: Feminist Ethics and the Question of Gender. Panel Discussion „The Future of Feminist Ethics”, Louvain-la-Neuve,
- August 18, 2018 Wijngaards Institute and Trinity College Dublin: ‘Voices Pope Francis will not hear’. Panel Discussion on Humanae Vitae and Catholic Sexual Ethics, 50 Years after “Humanae Vitae” https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/public-discussion-on-controversial-teachings-of-the-catholic-church/
- June 27, 2018: Deutscher Ethikrat: Herausforderungen für die Menschenwürde durch Neue Technologien. Keynote Lecture: Geschichte und Begriff der Menschenwürde
- June 24-25, 2018: Inselspital Bern, Medical Ethics. Lecture: Verletzlichkeit und Anteilnahme. Seelsorge zwischen kirchlich-konfessionellen und klinischem Angebot. Lecture: Zwischen Schweigen und Sprechen. Narrative Ethik und die Ars Patientia Workshop Narrative Ethics, Inselspital Bern: Seelsorge Heute
- June 22, 2018: WHO Conference: Spiritual Care im Fokus globaler Gesundheitspolitik, University of Zurich, Switzerland Lecture: Leide und Compassion. Zum Status der spiritual care in der Medizinethik
- JUNE 15, 2018: Graduate Course in Bioethics, Neiswanger Institute, Loyola University Chicago. Lecture: The Silent Language of Suffering. A Hermeneutical Phenomenology of Illness Narratives
- May 17-19, 2018: 17th Annual Conference of the International Social Theory Consortium. Modernity Between the Damaged Life and Sane Society: Social Theory in the Age of Urgency. Chicago. Lecture: Vulnerable Agency. Panel Discussion: The Work of Axel Honneth
- April 23-24, 2018: World Parliament of Religion Conference, University of Chicago. Lecture: Global Ethics in the 21st Century
- March 19, 2018: Conference „Das Außer-Ordentliche (in) der Gerechtigkeit: Pluralität, Differenz und das Gleichheitsprinzip“, University of Luzern, Switzerland. Lecture: „Jedem das Seine, Mir alles“,
- March 12/13, 2018: Religious Freedom Conference, Loyola University Chicago. Lecture: Religious Freedom. Response to Leslie Griffin.
- January 4-7, 2018: Society of Christian Ethics Annual Conference. Panel Discussion: Philosophical and Theological Ethics
- Society at the Annual Conference of the Society of Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, Memphis, TS, Oct. 19, 2017. Lecture and Panel Discussion “Signs and Wonders. Theology after Modernity” (Ellen Armour).
- Conference on the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation, Loyola University Chicago, Oct. 18th, 2017. Panel Moderation: Luther’s Freedom of the Will.
- “Giving an Account of Evil” – Annual Conference of Societas Ethica, Volos, Greece. Organizer and Chair as President of Societas Ethica; August 24-27, 2017. Lecture: Evil and Vulnerable Agency.
- Critical Theory Conference, Rome: May 11-13, 2017. Keynote Lecture: “The ‘tickling in the heels’ – Kafka, Benjamin, and Postcolonialism”.
- Midwest Sociological Society: “Globalization: Promises, Possibilities, and Pitfalls”, Annual Meeting 2017, held jointly with the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction, Count Stone Symposium “21ST Century Interactionism” March 30 – April 2, 2017. Lecture: “Recognizing (Mis-)Recognition”. Panel Discussion: Lauren Langman “God, Gold, Gun, and Glory”
- Political Theology Lecture Series Spring 2017, Loyola University Chicago, March 21, 2017: Panel Presentation: Political Theology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting, Boston, February 18, 2017. Panel Moderator: "The role of values in delivering science advice for policy"
- McCormick Lecture: Public Moral Discourse, Robin Lovin, Loyola University Chicago, Feb. 22nd, 2017. Response to Robin Lovin
- International Conference: „Leiden in Medizin, Theologie und Medizinethik“ / „Suffering in Medicine,Theology and Medical Ethics“, Frankfurt 8.-10. March 2017 (Co-Chair). Lecture: Suffering – a Fundamental Category of Theology? A Dialogue Between Fundamental Theology and Ethics: Knut Wenzel, Frankfurt; Hille Haker, Chicago
- Cooperation Meeting and Workshop between University of Frankfurt and Loyola University Chicago. May 15-19, 2017, Loyola University Chicago (Organizer and Chair). Workshop: Medical Ethics in Healthcare Chaplaincy.