Pass Not Working
There could be a couple of reasons why a student's U-Pass does not function as it is supposed to. Most all of these reasons are very apparent and can be solved through troubleshooting or speaking with Ventra Chicago or Loyola University Chicago U-Pass representatives.
All students with new or replacement cards must activate them before use.
1) Activate your Ventra U-Pass by calling 1-877-450-5328. You MUST call to activate the card or it will not work properly. You will need your U-Pass and your Student ID to complete this procedure.
2) If you are a new U-Pass cardholder or an existing cardholder who has not registered your card yet, go online to www.ventrachicago.com (recommended) or call 1-877-669-8368 and follow the prompts. You will need your U-Pass and Student ID to complete this process. Replacement U-Pass requests can skip this step if they have previously registered their card.
3) Your card will work approximately 20 minutes after completing these steps.
All students must be eligible to receive the U-Pass for the card to work during any semester/term. Students must be enrolled in 12 credit hours (undergraduate), 8 credit hours (graduate, LAW), and 6 graduate credit hours (GBUS) to qualify for the U-Pass. The U-Pass portion of the fare card will NOT activate until these credit hour requirements have been met. Please see U-Pass Eligibility for more information.
When the U-Pass is not "turned on" (summer and winter breaks), the U-Pass can be used as a traditional fare card. Students need to load money on to their card for this portion of the card to work. If a student chooses to use the pass during non-U-Pass activation times, and without placing money on to the card, they will incur a negative balance on the card. Negative balances are the NUMBER ONE reason that passes might not work during U-Pass activation times.
It is the responsibility of the student to pay for any negative balances that might have been incurred as a result of using the pass without placing funds on the card. If an account has a negative balance at the time the U-Pass portion of the pass is set to turn on, the U-Pass portion of the pass WILL NOT activate.
To correct negative balances:
1) Verify your U-Pass entitlement is active at the Ventra website by typing in your card number and expiration date located on the back of your Ventra U-Pass.
2) While there, also verify your card does not have a negative balance. The balance will be listed in the center of the page. New CTA procedures deactivate U-Pass entitlement with as little as -$2.50. To correct negative balances:
a) Add funds to bring the balance to $0.00 at any Ventra machine, located at major el stops. If you registered your card with Ventra, you can also go to the Ventra website to bring the balance to $0.00
b) If you feel the charges are in error and occurred when the U-Pass benefit was active then please call Ventra Customer Service to discuss with Ventra. They are available at 1-877-669-8368. Dial 1 for English or 2 for Spanish, then 0 (zero) for a Ventra Customer Service representative Mon – Fri 6:00am-8:00pm and Sat 8:00am -4:00pm.
Sometimes a card becomes damaged because of circumstances beyond a students' doing (i.e. cracks in cold weather, no longer scanning at the turnstile). To replace a damaged cards, students must visit Ventra Chicago Headquarters at 165 N. Jefferson Chicago, IL to request a waiver for the damaged fee. The student will receive a complimentary 7 day CTA pass, but will still need to order the pass at one of the (2) Service Locations at Loyola.
FOR FALL 2020, students may instead email email@example.com with a clear photo of their damaged pass form, making sure that the LID and student name on the form are fully visible. We will then order a replacement for you at no cost to you and you'll receive an email when it arrives, usually within 5-7 business days.
Damage can also occur by the alteration of any pass by the student. Students should not puncture (hole punch), launder, or alter their pass in any way. This will affect the use of the pass. Ventra Chicago will not waive the $50 replacement fee on account of a student altering their U-Pass in the ways described above.
To pay for a replacement: Without the Ventra Defective Card Replacement form, a damaged card is considered lost or stolen and the full replacement cost applies. Loyola does not have the authority to issue a free replacement U-Pass without the replacement form and does not have 7-day transit passes available for this purpose.
For replacement U-Pass ordering, go here for instructions: https://www.luc.edu/upass/u-passtroubleshooting/loststolencard/
If your card is no longer scanning at all, please visit the Ventra Chicago Headquarters per the above procedure. Please note that Ventra Customer Service will not issue a replacement if you have insufficient funds or you are not eligible for a U-Pass that term.