The School of Education (SOE) offers a graduate-level non-degree seeking program for students who wish to sample classes before applying to an SOE graduate degree program, transfer credit to another institution, or obtain professional or personal enrichment.
Non-degree-seeking students may apply a maximum of 6 semester hours (2 courses) toward an SOE degree or certification program. Students accepted into the non-degree-seeking program must meet with the program director in charge of the courses they wish to attend.
After obtaining approval from the program director, SOE will remove the registration block from your Loyola account, and you may register for courses. You must meet with the program director each semester you are enrolled as a non-degree-seeking student.
Admission as a non-degree-seeking student does not guarantee admission to a formal program. Your program director can recommend the degree or certification programs that best fit your needs and goals.
Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for loans or other financial assistance.
Deadlines and Requirements
We invite you to apply to the Graduate School of Education as a non-degree seeking student.
One month before the beginning of the academic term for which you are applying. See the academic calendar for term start dates.
To apply for admission as a non-degree-seeking student in the School of Education, the following documents are required from domestic applicants:
- A completed online application
- Official transcript(s) with degree posted showing a GPA of at least 3.0*
- A short statement including the course you would like to take and reason for applying as a non-degree student
*In exceptional cases, applicants whose undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 may be admitted.
For international applicants, the following documents are required in addition to those listed above:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
- A Declaration and Certification of Finances Form (PDF)
- General* evaluations of international transcripts by an outside credentialing service. Go to https://www.ece.org for information about this service and to download an application.
* However, if planning to apply for an initial Illinois teacher certification program, you should obtain a course-by-course evaluation.
Have questions? Contact Us!
For more information or to apply to a formal program, contact the Graduate Enrollment Management Office at: 312.915.7900 or use this form.