LUC Policies and Procedures
The International Baccalaureate has recognized the Bachelor of Science in Education and the Master of Education at Loyola University Chicago as meeting all the academic requirements of the IB certificate in teaching and learning in the Primary Years Programme (grades K-5), the Middle Years Programme (grades 6-10) and the Diploma Programme (grades 11 and 12).
Undergraduate and graduate teacher candidates in the School of Education enrolled in the elementary (grades 1-6), middle (grades 5-8), and secondary (grades 9-12) teacher preparation program areas have the following options given the licensure system in Illinois and the certification system of IB.
- All middle and secondary education candidates are eligible to be IB certified - MYP or DP.
- All elementary education candidates are eligible to be IB certified – PYP.*
*Please note that this is dependent on placement at an IB
school for Sequence 6 of TLLSC program.
To earn IB certification candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Successful completion of TLLSC Phase 1 (sequences 1, 2 and 3), including the successful completion of the Sequence 3 summative assessment is required as one aspect of earning the IB certificate.
- Successful completion of TLLSC Phase 2 (sequences 4, 5 and 6), including the successful completion of the Sequence 6 summative assessment is required as another aspect of earning the IB certificate.
- Teacher candidates will also need to successfully complete module TLSC 350 in an IB World School in a PYP, MYP or DP programme.
- Elementary candidates - PYP (1-5)
- Middle School candidates – MYP (6-10)
- Secondary candidates – MYP (9-10) or DP (11-12)
- Successful completion of TLLSC Phase 3 (sequences 7 and 8 – one year internship) and successful completion of all requirements of the teacher preparation program at Loyola University Chicago is the final aspect of earning the corresponding IB certificate.
IB educator certificate enrollment and registration procedure
- Before Sequence 6, the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Affairs will provide the International Baccalaureate with your contact information. The IB will provide enrollment instructions to access IB-related resources via email.
- Upon successful completion of the degree program, the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Services will send verification to the International Baccalaureate for the candidates' completion status for final certificate registration. The International Baccalaureate will contact candidates directly regarding last steps (which currently include a $265 registration fee paid directly to the International Baccalaureate).