When a bomb threat is received by phone:
- Keep the caller on the line and talking as long as possible (pretend to have difficulty in hearing—ask the caller to repeat what he/she said).
- Try to get as much information as possible about the location of the bomb and a description of the bomb and the caller.
Use the bomb threat checklist (see Bomb Threat Checklist below) to record all information.
- Stay on the line as long as the caller continues to provide useful information. If possible, have someone else use another line to call Campus Safety at 4-4911.
- After the caller hangs up, immediately call 4-4911 and notify Campus Safety.
- If an evacuation of the building is ordered take the bomb threat checklist with you and give it to Campus Safety.
When a suspicious package or item is found:
- If you find an item you suspect is a bomb, do not touch, move, or disturb it.
- Call 4-4911 immediately, then notify your supervisor.
- Keep people away from the area until help arrives.
- Dispatch all available Campus Safety Security Officers and Facilities staff to the scene.
- Notify Chicago Police.
- Notify appropriate University officials as outlined in the basic plan.
- Conduct search and/or evacuation procedures.
Bomb Threat Check List
Use this form to record all information if you receive a bomb threat call.