Appropriation Amendment Instructions
The following instructions are to be used in combination with the ‘Appropriation Amendment Request Form.xls’ file for the purpose of transferring BUDGETED (not expended) amounts.
The Appropriation Transfer Request form is used to transfer budgeted amounts (budgeted funds not yet spent) to different accounts. To transfer expended amounts (funds already spent) use the Expense Transfer Form. Appropriation amendments on grants are typically negotiated with the funding agency and a pre-award office such as ORS. For that reason, this form is not usually used for grants nor submitted direct to SPA from the department/Office of the PI.
- After opening form, click ‘Enable Macros’ if prompted. Enter your name in the ‘Approval’ field at the top right corner.
- In the header portion of the form enter the Fiscal Year in 4-digit YYYY format.
- Starting in cell B18, enter a 6-digit Accounting Unit in the ‘Accounting Unit’ field.
- Enter a 4-digit account number in the ‘Account’ field.
- Enter the adjustment amount. This is the amount by which the current budget will be increased or decreased. If the accounting unit/account combination on the same line should be decreased, enter a negative sign (-) in front of the adjustment amount. If the accounting unit/account combination should be increased, simply enter the amount in the Amount field.
- Enter a meaningful description of the transfer for each line into the ‘Description’ field.
- Continue entering data into subsequent rows as needed. If transferring a budget for multiple accounting unit/account combinations, confirm that the totals are in balance before submitting the form for approval. This can be verified by checking the control amounts located at the top of the form. Once all lines have been entered the Control Totals must equal zero or the entry is out-of-balance and must be fixed.
- The last step is to forward the completed file.
- If supporting documentation is required: The form may be forwarded either by surface mail or electronically to either your budget administrator (if budget administrator approval is required) or directly to Sponsored Program Accounting (GRNTCON@luc.edu) with all supporting documentation included. If the packet was sent to the budget administrator for a second approval, the budget administrator should forward the packet to Sponsored Program Accounting either by surface mail or electronically.
- If no supporting documentation is required: Email may be used to complete the budget transfer request. To send the form electronically, click the ‘CLICK HERE TO SEND APPROPRIATION TRANSFER REQUEST’ button at the top of the form. An email message with the Appropriation Transfer Form attachment will pop up. You can send the message and attachment to your Budget Administrator for approval if necessary, or you can send it directly to Sponsored Program Accounting by entering ‘GRNTCON@luc.edu’ in the TO: field.
Budget Administrator: Open the attachment(s) to the email. If you approve the transfer request enter your name and date on the ‘Department Approval’ line. Send the approved form to Sponsored Program Accounting by clicking on the ‘CLICK HERE TO SEND APPROPRATION TRANSFER REQUEST’ button. Your email application will open. Enter ‘GRNTCON@luc.edu’ in the TO: field, and click ‘send’.
If you do not approve the request do not send the Appropriation Transfer Request to Sponsored Program Accounting. Instead, return the form to the original requestor and communicate your reasons for not approving.