The physics faculty regularly publish new findings from their scientific research in peer-reviewed publications and receive patents for novel ideas. This scholarly work often involves valuable contributions from undergraduates. Underlined names indicate undergraduate authors.
- A first-year research experience: The Freshman Project in Physics at Loyola University Chicago. J. Bougie, A. Gangopadhyaya, S. Moses, R. D. Polak, G. P. Ramsey, and W. Walkosz. American Journal of Physics. 88, 734 (2020). doi.org/10.1119/10.0001611
- Exactness of SWKB for shape invariant potentials. A. Gangopadhyaya, J. V. Mallow, C. Rasinariu, and J. Bougie. Physics Letters A. Volume 384 (28). 2020. doi.org/10.1016/j.physleta.2020.126722
- Origin of sterile neutrino dark matter via secret neutrino interactions with vector bosons. KJ Kelly, M Sen, W. Tangarife, Y Zhang. Physical Review D 101 (11), 115031. 10.1103/PhysRevD.101.115031
- Probing the two-neutrino exchange force using atomic parity violation. M Ghosh, Y Grossman, W. Tangarife. Physical Review D 101 (11), 116006. 10.1103/PhysRevD.101.116006
- (S)‐4‐Amino‐5‐phenoxypentanoate designed as a potential selective agonist of the bacterial transcription factor GabR. DS Catlin, CT Reidl, TR Trzupek, RB Silverman, B. Cannon, DP Becker, D Liu. Protein Science. 29(8). 2020. doi.org/10.1002/pro.3905
- Inter-relations between additive shape invariant superpotentials. J.V. Mallow, A. Gangopadhyaya, J. Bougie, and C. Rasinariu, Physics Letters A, 384 (2020) 126129. doi.org/10.1016/j.physleta.2019.126129
- Dodelson-Widrow Mechanism In the Presence of Self-Interacting Neutrinos. A. de Gouvêa, M. Sen, W. Tangarife, and Y. Zhang. Physics Review Letters. 124, 081802 (2020). doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.124.081802
- Diamond Broad Band Mirror System and Method, Ernest Schirmann, Priya Raman, Adam Khan and R. Polak, US Patent 10725214 (Filed February 8, 2018; Issued July 28, 2020)
- Universal flow equations and chaos bound saturation in 2d dilaton gravity. Daniel Grumiller and R. McNees. arxiv.org/abs/2007.03673
- Measurement of the proton-air cross section with Telescope Array’s Black Rock Mesa and Long Ridge fluorescence detectors, and surface array in hybrid mode, R. Abbasi, Phys. Rev. D 102, 062004 (2020). PhysRevD.102.062004
- Singlet-Doublet Dirac Dark Matter and Neutrino Masses. D. Restrepo, A. Rivera, and W. Tangarife. Physics Review D. 100, 035029 (2019). doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.100.035029
- MP. Leveille, T. Tran, G. Dingillo, and B. Cannon. Detection of Mg2+-dependent, coaxial stacking rearrangements in a bulged three-way DNA junction by single-molecule FRET. Biophysical Chemistry. 2019 Feb;245:25-33. DOI. 10.1016/j.bpc.2018.12.001
- Diamond Broad Band Mirror System and Method, Ernest Schirmann, Priya Raman, Adam Khan and R. Polak, US Patent 10422928 (Filed February 8, 2018; Issued September 24, 2019).
- Multilayer Diamond Display System and Method, Adam Khan, R. Polak and Priya Raman, US Patent 10224514 (Filed December 4, 2017; Issued March 5, 2019).
- Diamond Coated Antireflective Window System and Method, Adam Khan and R. Polak, US Patent 10254445 (Filed March 1, 2017; Issued April 9, 2019).
- Bounds on extra dimensions from micro black holes in the context of the metastable Higgs vacuum. KJ Mack and R. McNees. Physical Review D. 99(6). 2019. doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevD.99.063001
- Conservation laws and energy transformations in a class of common physics problems, J. Bougie, A. Gangopadhyaya; American Journal of Physics 87, 868 (2019). arxiv.org/pdf/1910.13569
- Cosmic Ray Detectors and Observational Breakthroughs in Atmospheric Electricity, R. Abbasi, doi 10.22323/1.358.0018 (2019). PoS (ICRC2019)018
- Emergence of Benford’s Law in Music. A. Khosravani and C. Rasinariu, Journal of Mathematical Sciences: Advances and Applications, Vol. 54, 11-24, (2018). scientificadvances.co.in
- Building Confidence in the Dirac d-function. A. Gangopadhyaya and C. Rasinariu, European Journal of Physics, Vol. 39, No. 6, 065402, (2018).doi.org/10.1088/1361-6404/aaddcd
- The supersymmetric WKB formalism is not exact for all additive shape invariant potentials. J. Bougie, A. Gangopadhyaya, and C. Rasinariu, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical (2018); doi.org/10.1088/1751-8121/aad3db
- Mario Kart 8: A Case Study in Total Internal Reflection. R. D. Polak, V. Acuesta, J. Cirone, M. B. Conway, J. Summers and L. Tinawi, The Physics Teacher, 56, 566-567 (2018). doi.org/10.1119/1.5064578
- Determining Young's Modulus by Measuring Guitar String Frequency. R. D Polak, A.D.V. Davenport, A. Fischer and J. Rafferty, The Physics Teacher, 56, 122 (2018). doi.org/10.1119/1.5021447
- ML. Mitchell, MP. Leveille, RS. Solecki, T. Tran, and B. Cannon. Sequence-Dependent Effects of Monovalent Cations on the Structural Dynamics of Trinucleotide-Repeat DNA Hairpins. Journal of Physical Chem. B. 2018 Dec 20;122(50):11841-11851. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.8b07994
- Accretion of Dissipative Dark Matter onto Active Galactic Nuclei. N. J. Outmazgine, O. Slone, W. Tangarife, Lorenzo Ubaldi, and Tomer Volansky. Journal of High Energy Physics. (2018) 005. doi.org/10.1007/JHEP11(2018)005
- The Nanobiophotonics of Gold Nanoparticles and Allium cepa, and Its Symbiotic Effect on Escherichia coli. S. Moses, N. Y. Butler, D. Zavala, and S. Jaradat. Journal of Bionanoscience, Volume 12, Number 3, June 2018, pp. 442-445(4). doi.org/10.1166/jbns.2018.1546
- Differential effects of strand asymmetry on the energetics and structural flexibility of DNA internal loops. T. Tran and B. Cannon. Biochemistry. 2017. Dec 12;56(49):6448-6459. DOI. 10.1021/acs.biochem.7b00930
- A practical lesson in polarization optics: Creating a 3D image using a liquid crystal cell, R. D. Polak, A. Kumar and M. Schmidt. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals. 646, 132-141 (2017). doi.org/10.1080/15421406.2017.1285101
- Easily Accessible Experiments Demonstrating Interference. R. D. Polak, N. Fudala, J. T. Rothchild, S. E. Weiss and M. Zelek, The Physics Teacher 54, 120 (2016). doi.org/10.1119/1.4940181
- Universal Stylus, Rick Latella, R. D. Polak, E. Varty and J. Cecela, US Patent 9471158 (Filed June 5, 2013; Issued October 18, 2016).
- The motion of two identical masses connected by an ideal string symmetrically placed over a corner, C. Rasinariu, A. Gangopadhyaya; American Journal of Physics 84, 836 (2016). arxiv.org/pdf/1511.03583
- An Optics Laboratory Module on Image Formation, Aberrations, and Lens Design. R. D. Polak and N. Pflederer, Proceedings for Conference of Laboratory Instruction Beyond the First Year of College II, 84-87 (2015). advlabs.aapt.org/items/detail.cfm?ID=13813
- B. Cannon, AH. Kachroo, I. Jarmoskaite, M. Jayaram, R. Russell. Hexapeptides That Inhibit Processing of Branched DNA Structures Induce a Dynamic Ensemble of Holliday Junction Conformations. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2015. Sep 11;290(37):22734-46. DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M115.663930
- Generation of a Novel Exactly Solvable Potential, J. Bougie, A. Gangopadhyaya, Jeffry V. Mallow, C. Rasinariu; Phys.Lett. A379 (2015) 2180-2183. arxiv.org/pdf/1506.08809
- Low-Cost Student Experiments in Optics, R. Polak, AJ Cua, DJ Perez, MQ Robertson, JA Stuck, and JM Thomas, The Physics Teacher 52, 442-443 (2014). doi.org/10.1119/1.4895370
- C. Pan, JP. Potratz, B. Cannon, Z. Simpson, JL. Ziehr, P. Tijerina, and R. Russell. Passive disruption of RNA tertiary structure by a DEAD-box chaperone protein. PLoS Biology. 2014 Oct 28;12(10). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1001981
- The Electric Field at the Chargeless Interface Between Two Regions of Space – R. McNees and A. Gangopadhyaya; American Journal of Physics, 82, pp. 597, June (2014). dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.4867378