- A Completed Application Form
You may submit your application form online.
- A master's degree in counseling, psychology or a related field is required for admission.
- Official Transcripts
Applicants must submit official transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work. To be eligible for admission, your transcript must show an earned bachelor's degree or a bachelor’s degree in progress. Certified copies of transcripts are acceptable; faxed copies of transcripts are not considered official. If you attended Loyola University Chicago previously, you do not need to request transcripts; we have them on record. Transcripts must show an undergraduate GPA of at least a 3.0 and a graduate GPA of 3.5.
In exceptional cases, applicants whose undergraduate GPA is below the cutoff may be admitted. Each program area gives meaningful consideration to the applicant's graduate GPA, GRE scores, recommendations, professional experience and reasons for pursuing a graduate program, as well as to the diversity of the student body.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
If you supply your recommender's email address as part of your completed online application form, then your recommendation letters will be submitted directly through the online application system.
We ask that you submit only three letters, no more, no less. Recommenders may be academic or professional in nature.
- A Personal Statement
Your statement should be 1-3 pages, and you should describe:
- why you are applying to the doctoral program in counseling psychology at Loyola
- research and clinical experiences you have had that prepare you for scientist-practitioner training in counseling psychology
- which faculty member you would most like to work with and why
- your view or definition of social justice (We are more interested in learning how you view social justice than in knowing how your life experiences have influenced your view.)
A current resume that highlights at least two years of work experience relevant to your professional goals
Our admissions committee may request an interview. Interviews are done by invitation only. In preparation for the interview, candidates will be asked to give a PowerPoint portfolio presentation, provide real-time analysis, and an on-site writing sample. If invited to campus, an email will be sent with specific instructions prior to the interview.