Loyola University Chicago uses the online training course called the Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) course to provide convenient web based training programs to the research community. Completion of the CITI course quizzes with an overall score of 80 percent is required for certification. Please use the instructions below to access the course site. Researchers at Loyola University Chicago may be required to complete some or all of the online CITI modules described below.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Begin Your On-line Training
- Go to LUC’s CITI Log In Page
- Login using your UVID and Password.
- Find ‘Loyola University of Chicago’ on the main page and click View Courses. Or, use the top menu and click My Courses.
- If you are on the ‘My Courses page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Add a Course.
- To select the correct courses, you will need answer a series of questions. First, you may be asked if you want to register for a ‘COVID-19: Back to Campus course.’ This course is not required and you can respond No. Then click Next.
- Now you will need to select the right user group. Select LUC Sponsored Research Personnel. This is the appropriate group for all research personnel working on Loyola University Chicago sponsored research projects, unless they are participating in research subject to the Health Sciences Division IRB. Click Next.
- If you are working with human subjects and are completing this course as a requirement of IRB approval, you will select Group 1, which is the first option. If you do not have any other requirements to fulfill, scroll to the bottom and click Next.
- If you are working with animals and are completing CITI training as a requirement of IACUC approval, you will scroll past the first few options and select the option that says The "Working with the IACUC Course" is required if you plan to use laboratory animals in your work or plan to supervise such work. It is not required, but you also have the option of specifying the animal species you will be working with. If you do not have any other requirements to fulfill, scroll to the bottom and click Next.
- If you are an IACUC member or an IACUC coordinator/administrator, you are required to complete the "Essentials for IACUC Members" course.
- If you are required to take the LUROP RCR course or to complete online RCR training, check the box for your required course. For most research personnel this course is not a requirement and you can skip this section.
- If you are required to take the Financial Conflict of Interest Course, check the box here. If you are not required to take this online training, you can skip this section.
- If LUROP has required you to take the Community-Engaged Research Course, check the box to indicate that. If not, you can skip this section. Note: this training is also optional for anyone to take voluntarily and recommended for anyone involved in this type of research project.
- Once you have made all your selections, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Next.
- This will take you back to the ‘My Courses’ page. You will see your courses in ‘Courses Ready to Begin.’
- Click Start Now for the course you would like to complete and follow the instructions to complete the modules.
- After all modules for a section are complete, the CITI program will email you a completion report and a copy will automatically be sent to the Office of Research Services (ORS). It may take 5-7 business days after you complete the course for ORS to have your training record show up in the CAP system (if applicable).
A PDF version of these steps, which includes illustrations, is available at CITI Guide for Loyola researchers.
CITI for non-Loyola Researchers
If you are not a Loyola student or employee, but are a researcher on a Loyola research project, you will still need to fulfill the CITI training requirements. You may already have most of the requirements completed at another institution or you may need to register your first CITI account. A PDF guide on the steps you will to take for either situation is available at CITI Guide for non-Loyola researchers.
About the Courses
Although you have to take the modules in sequence, you do not have to complete them at one time. It is preferable to do several at one sitting and then return to complete the unfinished modules. To finish an incomplete module click View Courses for Loyola University Chicago and then click Continue Course for the courses that still need to be completed. The software will keep track of the modules you have completed so that when you re-enter the site you will know where to begin. The passing score on each module is 80 percent; if you do not pass the first time, you can retake it until you get a passing grade. For further information about the course or Loyola’s requirements, call ORS at (773) 508-2471. If you experience problems with the program software, call CITI Support at (888) 529-5929 for assistance.
All personnel engaged in research with human subjects must obtain IRB certification by completing the CITI course. IRB certification is valid for three years and is required for IRB approval of a research project.
All personnel engaged in activities with live vertebrate animals must obtain IACUC certification by completing an on-line training course. IACUC certification is valid for three years and is required for all personnel included on the IACUC application before approval of a research project. IACUC members are also required to obtain CITI training by completing the module specifically for IACUC members.
For RCRS Distance Learner Certification or LUROP RCR Certification
For most researchers at Loyola, the RCR training is done in person as part of the UNIV370 RCRS course. Visiting students (defined as students that are not enrolled in a Loyola University Chicago degree or certificate program) and students in programs that do not require them to be “on-campus” at any point (“Online” degree or certificate programs) can satisfy the RCRS training requirement by completing the online RCR CITI Program. Completion of this program should be done prior to the student’s involvement in formal research activity and the RCRS CITI Program completion certificate should be on file with the Loyola University Chicago Office of Research Services. Following completion, please forward copies of CITI training records to Andrew Ellis, Asst. Dir. of Research Compliance, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This RCR training program is also required by some LUROP programs. If the LUROP office instructed you to complete the online RCR program, please complete this training.
For Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) Certification
All personnel engaged in activity supported by, or proposed to be supported by, a Public Health Services (PHS) agency are required to complete this online training. Financial Conflict of Interest certification is valid for four years.