Loyola University Chicago

Department of Philosophy

Graduate Student Survival Kit

Welcome to the Department of Philosophy's Graduate Student Web page! The following page provides incoming and current students with useful information and valuable resources to assist you as you navigate through the Philosophy Graduate community and the Chicago area.

Loyola Resources

Chicago Resources

Computer IDs and Philosophy Department Policy on Computers

Information Services automatically issues Universal Computer IDs and passwords to new students at the time of their enrollment at the university. This ID and password provide access to the Loyola computer network and to your university e-mail account.

If for some reason you have not been issued a Universal ID/password; please print and complete the Computer ID Request Form (PDF) and submit it to the appropriate IS office:

Universal ID requests:
Granada Center, Room 260
Lake Shore Campus
Fax: 773.508.2750

Please allow 3–5 business days for ID/password creation.

In response to recent questions about department computers and our other office equipment and supplies, here is a clarification of our existing policy in light of our limited resources:

  • The computers at the front desk and in the dept. workroom (Crown 371) are normally for the use of faculty and staff, with the understanding that (a) while they are doing work for a faculty member student assistants count as "staff" and (b) while they are doing work for their classes part-time teachers (including graduate-student teachers) count as "faculty." Graduate students who are neither faculty nor staff should normally use other computers when doing their own work, e.g., writing term papers, checking email, etc. They may ask the administrative staff for permission to use one of the workroom computers for awhile, as long as they agree to move elsewhere upon the request of a faculty or staff member.
  • The generic "Phil-Temp" ID and password are reserved for the dept. staff and part-time teachers described above in #1. It is a violation of university and department regulations for anyone to use this ID for purely personal business.
  • The other machines in the workroom (the laser printers, scanner, photocopier) are subject to the restrictions stated above, as are our office supplies. Philosophy graduate students who wish to print their term papers and dissertations at the university should use the computers in the philosophy graduate lounge (Crown 357) or computer labs, and should supply their own paper unless they have made special arrangements with the AGSP or the department chair.

In addition to the computer in the dept. graduate lounge, the new Information Commons has 3 floors of computers, scanners and printers for student use. If you are doing any sort of copying or printing for departmental use, you may always ask Molly or Bryn for a copy card.

Financial Aid

Resources for Graduate Students

  • Departmental Scholarships or Tuition Assistantships
  • Federal Stafford Loans
  • Alternative Credit-based Student Loans

Applying for These Resources

Departmental Scholarships and Assistantships
Recipients are selected by individual Graduate Departments. Contact your department for applications, requirements, and deadlines.

To apply, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year with the U.S. Department of Education. For timely processing, file your FAFSA early and be sure to include Loyola University Chicago's school code 001710. You can complete a FAFSA application on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov, or with a paper form available from any Financial Aid Office or public library. Keep a copy for your records!

  • Student Eligibility: A student must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, not be in default on existing Federal Student Loans, and be at least a half-time student in an eligible degree program.
  • The US Department of Education will process your FAFSA and mail you a Student Aid Report (SAR), normally within 4 to 6 weeks of receipt. Loyola will receive an electronic Alternative Loans Students who are not eligible for Federal Stafford Loans, or students who want to supplement their Federal Loans may wish to apply for alternative education loans. The maximum amount a student can obtain from an alternative loan is limited to the cost of attendance established by Loyola, minus all other aid. Eligibility for these loans is based on the creditworthiness of the applicant and/or co-signer. Contact the lender to apply, or to inquire about requirements, interest rates, and fees. You can obtain an alternative student loan comparison list at www.luc.edu/finaid.

Financial Aid Notification Process

  • Students who are admitted to Loyola University Chicago, filed a FAFSA listing Loyola's school code, and have received a valid SAR will receive award correspondence from the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA), as follows:

  • Estimate of Financial Aid Eligibility letters are mailed beginning in the spring preceding the academic year. Included in the Estimate package are documents you are required to complete and return to OSFA. These documents will assist in determining your final award.
  • Final Award letters are mailed to graduate students after all required documents are reviewed by OSFA. Final awards can include eligibility for Federal Stafford Loans, academic department scholarships and assistantships when graduate departments have notified OSFA, and any other assistance for which OSFA has received notification.
  • Revised Award letters are mailed, as needed, throughout the academic year. Revised Award letters are notifications of a change in your aid resulting from, for example, a change in your enrollment, a request from you to reduce or reject aid, notification of additional assistance, etc.

Other Considerations

  • Other Resources Potential resources may be available through your employer, religious and ethnic organizations, institutions affiliated with your field of study, your hometown chamber of commerce, city council, or local school district. Websites such as www.fastweb.com may also be helpful. Promptly notify OSFA of any other assistance you will receive.

  • Budget Payment Plans
    Contact the Bursar's Office for information regarding tuition payment plans. Contact your graduate department if your employer will reimburse your tuition; you may be eligible for the Employer Reimbursement Plan through the Bursar's Office which allows eligible students to defer tuition payment while awaiting reimbursement. For more information, visit the Bursar's Office Website at: www.luc.edu/bursar.

  • Contact Information: For more information, contact Graduate Financial Aid via e-mail (gradfinaid@luc.edu) or by calling 773.508.2984 or 773.508.3155.

Health Insurance/Health Center

Full-time merit awards come with health insurance coverage for the student. Students may purchase supplemental insurance for a spouse/significant other or family, rates and additional information can be found on Bursar’s Office webpage.

To receive student health insurance benefits, students must be registered for classes no later than July 1 for the Fall semester of the upcoming academic year. To accept the award and coverage, students must "Fast-Track" into the plan by logging into LOCUS and clicking on the "Student Health Insurance" link in the "Campus Finances" section. Fast-tracking into the insurance confirms accepted coverage, activates enrollment into the plan, and generates an insurance ID card.

If a student has insurance coverage, he or she must waive out of student health insurance coverage. To waive out, students must log on to LOCUS and click on "Student Health Insurance" in the "Campus Finances" section by October 1 of the academic school year.

For the most up-to-date information regarding insurance information and requirements, please see the Bursar's web page at http://www.luc.edu/bursar/insurance.shtml.

Coverage Options

How To Waive Out of Loyola's Student Health Insurance:

If you have your own insurance already or are covered under your parent's plan, you may waive out of Loyola's Student Health Insurance by providing proof of the other coverage. Go to LOCUS and click on "Student Health Insurance" in the Finance section. Submit the electronic waiver by October 1 for the fall term and the insurance charge will be waived from your account.

How to Purchase Supplemental Insurance Coverage:

To add a spouse or child onto the insurance plan, you can purchase supplemental coverage right through United HealthCare's Website at www.uhcsr.com/luc.

Find more information on United HealthCare's Student Resources website.

On-Campus Housing Options

Graduate Student Room & Board Rates

Graduate student housing is available only in Baumhart Hall triple rooms.

Graduate Housing—Baumhart Hall Triple Rooms only
Room Type Rate
Triple Unit A—9 months $11,590
Triple Unit A—12 months $13,810
Triple Units B & C—9 months $10,720
Triple Units B & C—12 months $12,790

Optional Meal Plans

Graduate students are not required to have a meal plan.

Declining Balance Plans
Declining Balance Total
$1,150 $1,150
$2,300 $2,300
$2,800 $2,800

Please visit the Residence Life website at: http://www.luc.edu/reslife/about/staff/ for further information.

Off-Campus Housing Resources

Loyola University’s Resources

  • Loyola’s Graduate Housing Web Page
    Here you can find many tips and sources for finding available apartments.
  • Iggy’s List
    This is Loyola’s version of Craigslist that includes a Housing/Real Estate category.
  • Off-Campus Living Office, 773.508-8660.
    Although this office mainly assists undergraduates, they can provide a list of property managers that share a positive relationship with Loyola.

Online Apartment Listings

Free Apartment Finding Services


Shuttle buses run a continuous loop between the Lake Shore Campus (LSC) and Water Tower Campuses (WTC), Monday through Friday, starting at 7:30 a.m. from the Lake Shore Campus. The last shuttle bus of the day is scheduled to arrive at the Lake Shore Campus at 11 p.m. There is no shuttle service on Saturday or Sunday.

In perfect conditions, the shuttles will make the trip between WTC and LSC in less than half an hour. During peak travel periods or inclement weather the trip may take longer.

The evening run to Metra Stations from the Water Tower Campus remains unchanged. There is one Metra shuttle only at 9:05 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  • Shuttle Bus is only for faculty, staff, and students of Loyola University Chicago.
  • Catch the bus at the Lake Shore Parking Structure, 25 East Pearson St.
  • Service operates on weekdays only, when classes are in session.
  • The shuttle is free.
  • You must show your Loyola I.D. to ride the shuttle.
  • Priority seating for faculty and students going to class.
  • Visitors must have prior clearance to ride shuttles.

Public Transportation Information

Loyola's Water Tower Campus and Lake Shore Campus are both located close to Chicago Transit Authority bus and train routes including the #147 and #151 buses, and the Red Line elevated train. Students have many other flexible and accessible travel options between campuses - and around the city. To give students the full advantages of public transportation, Loyola participates in the CTA's U-Pass program. For a flat fee  per semester, the CTA U-Pass gives a student an unlimited number of rides aboard all CTA buses and trains, and eliminates the need to pay cash per ride. The basic per ride cost is $2.25. The #147 and #151 buses operate from 4:45 a.m.–9:30 p.m., approximately every 10–12 minutes, Monday through Friday, and on Saturdays, from 5:30 a.m.–9:30 p.m. every 10–12 minutes. Local service is provided by #151 Sheridan between Devon/Broadway and Union Station (Jackson/Canal) daily through late evening. #151 service is extended to Howard Terminal when #147 does not operate. The Red Line runs every 13 minutes, 24 hours a day. For more information, visit cta.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the neighborhood surrounding Loyola like? What is the graduate student community like? What are the relationships with professors like? What kind of support is available for graduate students who are teaching? What are the possibilities of taking classes outside of the University? For the answer to these questions click here: Frequently Asked Questions.


We look forward to working with you as you progress along your academic career. But student life is more than just academics. Take a little time to enjoy other parts of this dynamic campus and city. Chicago means nonstop events, from concerts and movies in the park to beach hopping, baseball games, street festivals and much more. Event listings can be found at the following links.

Enjoy endless activity under the sun & stars:

  • Bike, blade, run, swim or boat along 25 miles of Lake Michigan beachfront
  • Visit Millennium Park the magnificent 24.5 acre destination that showcases world-class art, music, dining, architecture and landscape design.
  • View a movie in the park, a live play at Theater on the Lake or fireworks at Navy Pier
  • Catch a baseball game at either Wrigley Field or US Cellular Field

Whet your appetite for summertime food and fun:

  • Choose from hundreds of restaurants—from Chinatown to Greektown to Uptown—that appeal to every palate and budget
  • Listen to live music at dozens of blues and jazz clubs, or see an outdoor concert
  • Taste a little of everything at Chicago Street Festivals:
    • Chicago Blues Festival
    • Chicago Gospel Festival
    • Taste of Chicago
    • Chicago Country Music Festival
    • 5th Annual Chicago Outdoor Film Festival
    • L.A.T.E. Ride
    • Venetian Night
    • Chicago Air and Water Show
    • Viva! Chicago Latin Music Festival

For more information about Chicago summer fun, please visit Chicago Tourism, Metromix, The Chicago Reader, Digital City, or do a search on summer in Chicago. Also, for your convenience here is a listing of theatres near the Lake Shore and Water Tower Campuses.

Lake Shore Campus

  • 3 Penny Theatre Chicago
    2424 N. Lincoln Avenue,
    Chicago, IL 60614
    Phone: 773.525.3449
  • Village North Theatre
    6746 N. Sheridan Rd.,
    Chicago, IL 60626
    Phone: 312.337.7469
  • Village Biograph Theatre
    2433 N. Lincoln,
    Chicago, IL 60614
    Phone: 312.337.7469
  • Century 12 Evanston
    1715 Maple Ave,
    Evanston, IL 60201
    Phone: 847.492.0123

Water Tower Campus

  • 600 North Michigan
    600 N. Michigan Ave.,
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Phone: 312.255.9347
  • Mcclurg Court 3
    330 East Ohio St.,
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Phone: 312.642.0825
  • Village Water Tower
    175 E. Chestnut,
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Phone: 312.274.1010
  • Esquire 6
    58 East Oak Street,
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Phone: 312.280.1205

Hospitals and Pharmacies

Listed below are pharmacies and hospitals located near our Lake Shore and Water Tower Campuses. In case of emergency, please contact Public Safety at 44-911 from any campus phone and they will contact the appropriate local authorities. From regular phones, please dial 911 to contact emergencies services.


Lake Shore Campus

  • St. Francis Hospital
    355 Ridge Avenue,
    Evanston, IL 60202
    Phone: 847.316.4000
  • Evanston Hospital
    2650 Ridge Avenue
    Evanston, IL 60201
    Phone: 847.570.2000

Water Tower Campus

  • Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    251 East Huron Street
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Phone: 312.926.2000


Lake Shore Campus

  • Walgreens
    7510 N. Western
    Chicago, IL 60626
    Hrs: 24 hours
  • Walgreens
    6125 N. Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60660
  • CVS
    6150 N. Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60660
  • CVS
    6510 N. Sheridan Rd.
    Chicago, IL 60626

Water Tower Campus

  • Walgreens
    757 N. Michigan Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Hrs: 24 hours
  • Walgreens
    641 N. Clark Street
    Chicago, IL 60610
  • Osco Drug
    550 N. State Street
    Chicago, IL 60610

For information, contact the Graduate Program Assistant Miguel Diaz at mdiaz1@luc.edu or call 773.508.2453.