Creative Writing Concentration
A CWC is offered within the regular English major, and is intended for students interested in and committed both to their own creative work (fiction and/or poetry and/or creative nonfiction) and to the study of literature from a writer's point of view.
Students are required to complete the usual sequence of required courses for the major, with these differences:
1. Students completing the CWC within the general framework of the English Major must substitute the following creative writing courses for the five electives:
- 317: Poetry Writing
- 318: Fiction Writing
- 357: Literature from a Writer's Perspective or English 319: Creative Nonfiction
- Note: Either 317, 318, or 319 fulfills a Core Expressive Arts Requirement.
2. Two advanced writing workshops, chosen from the following:
- English 397: Advanced Poetry Workshop
- English 398: Advanced Fiction Writing Workshop
- English 392: Advanced Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- Note: An advanced writing workshop substitutes for the Capstone course, English 390, in the regular major. If they wish, students may take any one advanced workshop twice to fulfill the Advanced Writing Workshop course requirements.
3. CWC students must have one English elective in their major.
Of special interest to creative writing students are the readings and class visits by established fiction writers and poets sponsored each year by the English department.