MATH 100: Intermediate Algebra
|Description: Fundamentals of algebra. Graphs of linear equations, polynomials and factoring, first and second-degree equations and inequalities, radicals and exponents, and systems of equations. Word problems emphasized throughout the course.|
R. Larson, Intermediate Algebra (WebAssign eBook), 5th edition.
Instructions for students to obtain the e-book and to use WebAssign:Once your instructor has uploaded the class roster to WebAssign, your personal class page will be activated. You will access it with your Loyola ID and password as detailed below.
1. Go to www.webassign.net/luc/login.html(Note the change in URL from previous semesters.)
2. Use the LOG IN @ LOYOLA UNIVERSITY CHICAGObutton in the center of the page. The LOG IN button in the upper right-hand corner should NOTbe used.
3. Selecting the Loyola login button will bring you to a standard Loyola login page, where you will enter your Loyola ID and password.
4. Successful login should bring you to a WebAssign home screen from which you can access any of your courses having a WebAssign component.
5. Select the desired course. If you have not already registered an access code for the course, a notice will be displayed with three choices:
o Enter an access code (purchased at the Loyola Bookstore or from the Acadiem website),
o Purchase an access code (online from WebAssign), or
o Continue the free trial.Select the appropriate choice to access the e-book and homework assignments.
6. If you purchased an access code for the Larson text in a previous semester, you do not need to purchase another code.
7. If at any time you run into technical difficulty using WebAssign, you can contact WebAssign directly by email or phone. Visit https://webassign.com/support/student-support/to get started.
Chapter 1: Fundamentals of Algebra
1.1 The Real Number System
2.2 Operations with Real Numbers
1.3 Properties of Real Numbers
1.4 Algebraic Expressions
1.5 Constructing Algebraic Expressions
Chapter 2: Linear Equations and Inequalities
2.1 Linear Equations
2.2 Linear Equations and Problem Solving
2.3 Business and Scientific Problems
2.4 Linear Inequalities
2.5 Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 3: Graphs and Functions
3.1 The Rectangular Coordinate System
3.2 Graphs of Equations
3.3 Slope and Graphs of Linear Equations
3.4 Equations of Lines
3.5 Graphs of Linear Inequalities
3.6 Relations and Functions
3.7 Graphs of Functions
Chapter 4: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
4.1 Systems of Equations
4.2 Linear Systems in Two Variables
Chapter 5: Polynomials and Factoring
5.1 Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation
5.2 Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
5.3 Multiplying Polynomials
5.4 Factoring by Grouping and Special Forms
5.5 Factoring Trinomials
5.6 Solving Polynomial Equations by Factoring
Chapter 6: Rational Expressions, Equations, and Functions
6.1 Rational Expressions and Functions
6.2 Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions
6.3 Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions
6.4 Complex Fractions
6.5 Dividing Polynomials and Synthetic Division
6.6 Solving Rational Equations
Chapter 7: Radicals and Complex Numbers
7.1 Radicals and Rational Exponents
7.2 Simplifying Radical Expressions
7.3 Adding and Subtracting Radical Expressions
7.4 Multiplying and Dividing Radical Expressions
7.5 Radical Equations and Applications
7.6 Complex Numbers
See Course Page for additional resources.