Summer in Chicago
Spend Summer in Chicago
Summer at Loyola gives students unparalleled access to the city of Chicago. When you're not attending classes, you'll have time to explore the city and engage in cultural, recreational, and entertainment opportunities. The windy city offers everything from concerts, to festivals, to famous museums, and many of these are free or discounted for students. And if all of this weren’t enough, there are dozens of beaches along the coast of Lake Michigan. Check out Loyola's Rambler Buzz for additional information.
Here’s a comprehensive list of some summer time activities and resources available in Chicago.
Things to do near Loyola University Chicago’s Lakeshore Campus
- Hartigan Beach Park: Enjoy this small, but beautiful beach that's right next to campus.
- Chainlinks: Want a fun way to get to class or around the city? Loyola offers free bike rentals to current students.
- Divvy Bikes: Take advantage of Chicago's unique bike sharing system. When you're done, you can drop it off at any of hundreds of stations around the city!
Festivals and Events
- Blues Festival: Three days of blues music in Grant Park.
- Farmers Markets (dates vary by market) Pick up a variety of produce and prepared foods. Don't forget to check out Loyola's Farmers Market as well.
- Lollapalooza: This Grant Park music festival draws a variety of performers and attendees from all over the world.
- Taste of Chicago: The world’s largest food festival offers both diverse food and music.
- Millennium Park: State-of-the-art architecture and impressive landscape design provide the backdrop for countless free events in this famous park.
- Art Institute: Free daily admission for Loyola students. Thursdays are also free for Illinois residents from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Chicago History Museum: Free admission on Mondays.
- Field Museum: Free admission on 2nd Monday of every month.
- Museum of Contemporary Art: Free admission on Tuesdays.
- Museum of Science and Industry: Visit their Web site for a list of free admission days.
- Shedd Aquarium: Visit their Web site for a list of free admission days.
Popular Chicago Attractions
- The "606" Trail: Travel along the west side of Chicago on this brand new, 2.7 mile recreational trail.
- North Avenue Beach: Get some sun and people-watch on this popular beach. And don't forget to check out the large boathouse!
- Architecture Tours: Go on a guided tour of the city’s architecture by boat, bus, or on foot.
- Chicago Cubs: Grab a hot dog and cheer on the Cubs at Wrigley Field.
- Chicago Park District: Visit one of Chicago’s 570 parks located throughout the city. Features include baseball fields, pools, and beaches.
- Chicago White Sox: Cheer on the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
- 360 Chicago Observation Deck: View the city from the 94th floor of the John Hancock Building, or enjoy fine dining at the Signature Room.
- Lincoln Park Zoo: Daily free admission to this public zoo.
- Magnificent Mile: Enjoy upscale shopping and dining.
- Montrose Beach: A dog-friendly beach where you can play with the pups or kayak into Lake Michigan.
- Oak Street Beach: Run or bike along the path at North Avenue Beach’s slightly less chaotic neighbor.
- Willis Tower Skydeck: See views of the city from the tallest building in the U.S. (Most Chicagoans still refer to this building as “Sears Tower”)
- Navy Pier: Over 50 acres of amusement: boat rides, museums, theatres, shopping, and a Ferris wheel.
- Concierge Preferred: Provides information about things to do and upcoming events in Chicago.
- CTA Bus Tracker: Provides information on timing for CTA buses.
- Metromix: Search for reviews and information on places that you’re thinking of checking out.
- RTA Trip Planner: Provides detailed information on how to get around using public transportation.
- TimeOut Chicago: Chicago news and information on events, activities and other things to do.