TC Peer Leaders
Tutoring Center Supplemental Instruction (SI) and Peer Tutor undergraduate student leaders are selected for their demonstrated academic abilities in the classroom, interpersonal and communication skills, and drive to assist their peers in being successful. SI Leader and Peer Tutors have achieved grades "A-" or higher in their course they serve. Upon being selected for the position, these student leaders undergo a rigorous training process on how to best facilitate a positive and productive learning environment for students, best practices for serving as a peer mentor, and how to collaborate with faculty and staff to support student success.
Please scroll below to learn more about our open positions, timeline, and access to the application.
Tutoring Center Student Leader Positions
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader: The SI leader attends all class sessions and holds scheduled weekly SI sessions (3 50-minute sessions per week) to assist students with understanding what to learn and how to learn it based off of the professor’s lectures. This position is typically 7-10 hours per week.
Group Peer Tutoring and One-on-One Peer Tutoring (hiring for various courses): Peer Tutors facilitate collaborative learning environments in either a group setting (3-8 students) or a one-on-one setting. Peer tutors are paid for the tutoring appointments they hold with students and do not attend class with their students. Tutoring opportunities exist for special populations, such as Student Accessibility Center students, ACE scholars, Academic Enrichment Programs, SCPS, or Athletes. This position is typically 4-8 hours per week.
Language Tutoring: In collaboration with the Language Learning Resource Center (LLRC), there are opportunities for students to apply for a Language Tutoring position. Tutoring sessions are held at the LLRC for various languages including Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, and Spanish. It is expected that the tutor’s language courses (at least one) have been taken at Loyola and are at the 250 or above level plus a 300 level course. Language Tutors must have a recommendation from a full-time professor or a section head in the language they wish to tutor. This position is typically 4-8 hours per week.
- 3.2 Minimum Cumulative GPA
- At least an A- earned in course(s) wishing to serve as a Tutoring Center student leader
- Full time (12 or more credits) undergraduate student
- Recommendation from a faculty member in the subject area they wish to tutor/SI
- Attend a mandatory training in August 2023
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings (typically Wednesday at 4pm and 6 pm)
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to facilitate a learning environment from groups of 1 to 30 students
- $15.80/hour (Subject to increase with Chicago's minimum wage increase)
- Helping peers achieve their student success goals
- Getting to know a faculty member
- Gain leadership experience and competency development through continuous trainings
- Meet fellow student leaders who are passionate about helping other Ramblers in your area of study
- Stay current on your own knowledge of the subject area
- On-campus flexibility (location, schedule is according to your availability, etc.)
Interview Timeline for spring 2024:
- Applications will open on Tuesday, September 19
- New Tutoring Center SI Leader and Peer Tutor Applications due Sunday, October 8 @ 11:59pm
- Group interview offers extended via email the week of October 9.
- Group interviews will take place the week of October 16.
The application will ask you for 2 recommendations (references). We request that one is from a LUC faculty member within the subject you are looking to support, and the second can be from a staff, supervisor, advisor, etc. who can attest to your strengths, position fit, character, etc.
**NOTE: The Tutoring Center will send a separate electronic form via email to the faculty/ recommender to complete if you are invited to continue within the process. No further action is required of the student applicant.**