Faculty & Staff Profiles
Professor, Applied Health Sciences
Health Sciences Campus
I'm a medical laboratory director and division chief of clinical chemistry/chemical pathology at the Trinity Health Illinois – Loyola Medicine – Regional Laboratory; Associate Director of the Regional Laboratory; Director of Core Laboratory Operations; and Associate Director of Near Patient Testing and Satellite Oncology Laboratories. Jointly appointed in the Stritch School of Medicine and Parkinson as a tenured professor, I teach pathology residents, medical laboratory science students, and others. During my 43-year career at Loyola, I served as our department's interim chair and vice-chair. I'm a past president of two major professional organizations in my fields of expertise. I enjoy sports, reading, and walking as well as spending time with family and friends.
My research focuses on quality improvement in laboratory medicine, evidence based laboratory medicine, toxicology, and biomarkers of disease.
- BS in Zoology, Michigan State University
- PhD in Biological Chemistry, University of Illinois at Chicago
After obtaining my undergraduate degree, I planned to go into marine biology. However, I worked for a year in a hospital where there was a clinical chemist and where I met the woman who'd become my wife. I decided to stay in the area applying to graduate programs in biochemistry and microbiology. I was awarded a fellowship in biochemistry which led to learning more about clinical chemistry.
My field is important because it stands behind the provision of quality laboratory results in health care and makes a significant contribution to the public health sector.
Nearing the end of my graduate training, I learned of an approved postdoctoral training program in clinical chemistry here on the LUMC campus. I was accepted into the program and have stayed on for the rest of my career. I love this profession as well as its importance to pathology, laboratory medicine, and healthcare delivery. The very best aspect of working at Loyola has been the wonderful people that I work with and teach at all levels.
- Contemporary Practice in Clinical Chemistry Chin, AC, Christenson RH, Kahn SE 2016
- Early Recognition and Treatment of Sepsis After the Addition of Lactate to the Laboratory's Critical Result Call List Kuttab,H. I.; Sterk,E.; Rech,M. A.; Nghiem,T.; Bahar,B.; Kahn,S. Journal of intensive care medicine 2016
- Defining the Path Forward: Guidance for Laboratory Medicine Guidelines Kahn,S. E.; Jones,P. M.; Chin,A. C.; Christenson,R. H. Ejifcc 2015 ;26(3):158-167
- Defining the path forward: guidance for laboratory medicine guidelines Kahn SE, Jones PM, Chin, AC, Christenson RH JOURNAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF CLINICAL CHEMISTRY 2015 ;26 (3):158-67
- Klin Kab Diagn Miller, WG, Myers, GL, Gantzer ML, Kahn SE, Schoenbrunner ER, Thienpont LM, Bunk, DM, Christenson RH, Eckfeldt JH, Lo SF, Nuebling CM, Sturgeon CM 2013 ;Feb (2)
- Effectiveness of barcoding for reducing patient specimen and laboratory testing identification errors: a Laboratory Medicine Best Practices systematic review and meta-analysis Snyder,S. R.; Favoretto,A. M.; Derzon,J. H.; Christenson,R. H.; Kahn,S. E.; Shaw,C. S.; Baetz,R. A.; Mass,D.; Fantz,C. R.; Raab,S. S.; Tanasijevic,M. J.; Liebow,E. B. Clinical biochemistry 2012 ;45(13-14):988-998
- Roadmap for harmonization of clinical laboratory measurement procedures Greg Miller,W.; Myers,G. L.; Lou Gantzer,M.; Kahn,S. E.; Schonbrunner,E. R.; Thienpont,L. M.; Bunk,D. M.; Christenson,R. H.; Eckfeldt,J. H.; Lo,S. F.; Nubling,C. M.; Sturgeon,C. M. Clinical chemistry 2011 ;57(8):1108-1117
- Analytic bias among certified methods for the measurement of hemoglobin A1c: a cause for concern?. Holmes,E. W.; Ersahin,C.; Augustine,G. J.; Charnogursky,G. A.; Gryzbac,M.; Murrell,J. V.; McKenna,K. M.; Nabhan,F.; Kahn,S. E. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2008 ;129(4):540-547
- Analytical evaluation of the Abbott ARCHITECT Sirolimus assay Maine,G. T.; Kahn,S. E.; Vazquez,D.; Meyer,P.; Dickson,D.; Kenney,D.; Edwards,M.; Haverstick,D. M. Clinical biochemistry 2008 ;41(14-15):1277-1277
- Circadian characteristics of serum calcium, magnesium and eight trace elements and of their metallo-moieties in urine of healthy middle-aged men. Kanabrocki,E. L.; Sothern,R. B.; Ryan,M. D.; Kahn,S.; Augustine,G.; Johnson,C.; Foley,S.; Gathing,A.; Eastman,G.; Friedman,N.; Nemchausky,B. A.; Kaplan,E. Clinica Terapeutica 2008 ;159(5):329-346
- Troponin I levels in patients with preeclampsia. Joyal,D.; Leya,F.; Koh,M.; Besinger,R.; Ramana,R.; Kahn,S.; Jeske,W.; Lewis,B.; Steen,L.; Mestril,R.; Arab,D. American Journal of Medicine 2007 ;120(9):819.e13-819.e14
- Toward standardization of cardiac troponin I measurements part II: assessing commutability of candidate reference materials and harmonization of cardiac troponin I assays Christenson,R. H.; Duh,S. H.; Apple,F. S.; Bodor,G. S.; Bunk,D. M.; Panteghini,M.; Welch,M. J.; Wu,A. H.; Kahn,S. E. Clinical chemistry 2006 ;52(9):1685-1692
- Association of mild transient elevation of troponin I levels with increased mortality and major cardiovascular events in the general patient population. Gudmundsson,G. S.; Kahn,S. E.; Moran,J. F. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine 2005 ;129(4):474-480
- Serum lipid concentrations in six canid and four ursid species in four zoos Crissey,S. D.; Ange,K. D.; Slifka,K. A.; Sadler,W.; Kahn,S.; Ward,A. M. Journal of zoo and wildlife medicine : official publication of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians 2004 ;35(1):34-39
- Biomarker profiling of plasma from acute coronary syndrome patients. Application of ProteinChip Array analysis. Florian-Kujawski,M.; Hussain,W.; Chyna,B.; Kahn,S.; Hoppensteadt,D.; Leya,F.; Fareed,J. International Angiology 2004 ;23(3):246-254
- Serum concentrations of lipids, vitamin d metabolites, retinol, retinyl esters, tocopherols and selected carotenoids in twelve captive wild felid species at four zoos Crissey,S. D.; Ange,K. D.; Jacobsen,K. L.; Slifka,K. A.; Bowen,P. E.; Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis,M.; Langman,C. B.; Sadler,W.; Kahn,S.; Ward,A. The Journal of nutrition 2003 ;133(1):160-166