Crime Alert - Criminal Sexual Abuse near 6401 N. Sheridan Road
November 7, 2017
Campus Safety is writing to notify you of a criminal sexual abuse that occurred yesterday near the intersection of West Devon Avenue and Sheridan Road, adjacent to the Lake Shore Campus.
A Loyola student was walking near 6401 N. Sheridan Road at approximately 8 p.m. when an unknown person inappropriately touched the student. The offender then fled east on West Sheridan Road. The offender was described as male, approximately 40-45 years old, and 5'4." He was reported as wearing sunglasses and a piercing in his nose. At the time of the offense, the offender was wearing blue jeans with rips at the knees and a black coat with a hood.
Campus Safety is working closely with the Chicago Police Department on the investigation. If anyone has information on this incident or yesterday afternoon’s battery report, please call Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263. The Chicago Police Department also continues to investigate leads related to other recent violent incidents in the district, and any new updates will be posted to the 24th District Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy (CAPS) and CLEARMAP websites.
Please also keep the following risk-reduction tips in mind:
- Always stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings. Refrain from using headphones or talking on the phone, as this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat.
- Be wary of unsolicited strangers. If someone approaches you on the street, keep moving and try to avoid additional contact. If possible, cross the street or change your direction.
- Investigative follow-up will be dependent on the amount of detail a person can recall. It is important to remember as many identifying characteristics about the offender(s) as possible. This can include the license plates of any involved vehicles, physical characteristics of the person, their clothing, any weapons used, direction of flight, etc.
- If a person threatens you, follow any demands and run away as soon as it is safe to do so. Once in a safe place, immediately notify Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
- If you see something you believe to be suspicious or need to report a crime, immediately contact Campus Safety or the Chicago Police Department.
Campus Safety recognizes that survivors are not at fault for any crime. Students who are seeking resources related to acts of violence can contact the Wellness Center at 773.508.2530 or visit the Community Coalition on Gender-Based Violence website. Faculty and staff in need of resources are encouraged to utilize the University’s Employee Assistance Program.
Deputy Chief, Campus Safety