Loyola University Chicago


Department of Fine and Performing Arts


Declaring a Major or Minor

Students may declare or change their major or minor through LOCUS. A document with instructions for changing a major/minor is located on the homepage of LOCUS. Students in the College of Arts and Sciences may only change a major within CAS. Students who wish to switch to a major in a different school or college must apply for an internal transfer. Students may not change their major after they have applied for graduation. 

For more information on academic advising for the College of Arts & Sciences, visit their Academic Advising page.

If you are interested in declaring a theatre major or minor, or have already done so, please complete an Advising From as soon as possible. An advisor will contact you shortly thereafter.

Academic Advisor / Faculty Advisor

All undergraduate students at Loyola are assigned one academic advisor.

  • If you are a freshman or sophomore, your advisor is in the Office of First and Second Year Advising.
  • If you are a junior or senior, Advising is handled by the Deans Office of the College of Arts and Sciences.
  • If you declare a Theatre major, the Department will assign you a faculty advisor to advise on theatre courses. 

Meeting with your Advisor

Majors and minors should consult their advisor regularly, for assistance with meeting major and minor requirements, more general curricular advice, and career suggestions. Consulting with the advisor may be especially helpful in November and April, when students register for the upcoming semesters. Advisors will also give information on auditions and performances.

To find out who your advisor is, log into LOCUS and look at the bottom right of the screen.   

If you believe you are a Theatre major and do not see an advisor, please complete an Advising From as soon as possible.


Musical Theatre

Declaring a Minor
To declare a Musical Theatre Minor, you must be a Dance, Music, or Theatre major. Qualified students who wish to minor in Musical Theatre should complete an Advising Form as soon as possible. An advisor in this area will contact you shortly thereafter.

A word of advice to all minors: it is important that you enter the dance sequences appropriate to your skill level.  Contact the Director of Dance to determine your placement.

Music Theory and Musicianship courses are also sequenced according to the student's skill level.  Note: MUSC 144 or 245 must be taken concurrently with whichever level of Music Theory (MUSC 144 or 244) the student takes, according to their skill level. 

THTR 203: Dramatic Structure and Theatrical Processes is the foundation for all theatre courses and should be taken first before other theatre classes if possible.