COVID-19 has caused unforeseen financial hardships for many members of the Loyola University Chicago community. Below are some of the new and distinctive ways Loyola students can receive assistance:

The Loyola Commitment

Helps with the costs of attending Loyola

What is the Loyola Commitment?

The Loyola Commitment provides help with direct educational costs for students whose personal and/or family contribution to their education has been severely compromised. This Commitment will be targeted to those students who have the greatest financial need. It is funded by the University and fortified by the generosity of Loyola University Chicago alumni and donors.

Who can apply?

Graduate, professional, and undergraduate students, including those within Arrupe College, who have experienced a significant reduction in household income causing financial hardship may apply for assistance through The Loyola Commitment. Eligibility and priority will be given to those who have utilized all existing financial aid options, including loans.

International and undocumented students will be considered for funding from The Loyola Commitment. Students will need to complete the Special Circumstance Appeal form and provide supporting documentation.

How do I apply?

To apply for The Loyola Commitment, we ask that students begin the process by filling out the 2020-2021 Special Circumstances form on our Financial Aid site.

What expenses are eligible?

Funding provided by The Loyola Commitment will assist students with amounts owed to Loyola University Chicago, including tuition, fees, housing, and meal plans. 

Where can I find more information regarding the Loyola Commitment?

Please visit LUC.edu/loyolacommitment for more information.

If you have any additional questions related to the Loyola Commitment, please contact the Financial Aid Office at lufinaid@LUC.edu.

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Student Share Grant Funds

Reimburses students for expenses related to disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus

What is HEERF?

The COVID-19 pandemic has created unforeseen hardships on students, families, and our greater community. Fortunately, the federal government’s Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) includes a Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) that provides emergency financial aid grants to eligible students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19 (HEERF Student Share Grant Funds). Over the past few months, we disbursed approximately $3.5 million in HEERF grants to our students for eligible expenses incurred this past spring. More information on HEERF can be found at LUC.edu/heerf.

Approximately $1.5 million of HEERF grant funds remain available for expenses incurred for the summer and fall 2020 academic terms as a result of the coronavirus-related disruption of campus operations, and the University recently approved a new policy addendum to our HEERF Student Share Grant Policy to include the summer and fall semesters. Please review the addendum to learn more.

Who can apply?

Students in associate’s, bachelor’s, graduate, professional, and certificate programs may apply for the HEERF Student Share Grant Funds.  Students enrolled in the fall semester must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-2021 Aid Year. If you have not yet filed a FAFSA, you can do so at www.studentaid.gov. Once the Financial Aid Office certifies you have a valid FAFSA, you can submit your HEERF Grant application.

The University’s HEERF Student Share Grant Funds policy addendum outlines eligibility requirements and other important information concerning eligible expenses related to the summer and fall academic terms.

How can I apply?

The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Student Share Grant summer and fall application is now available at forms.LUC.edu/heerf.  Applications submitted by Wednesday, October 14 will be included in the Priority Application Period.

To log onto the online application, you will need your student UVID and password. Once logged in, you will be asked to provide receipts supporting expenses you incurred.

What expenses are eligible?

Expenses related to the disruption of campus operations which may qualify for a HEERF grant include:

  • Expenses incurred related to breaking a lease or securing last-minute housing
  • Moving, storage, and airline change fees
  • Technology purchases related to the transition to online learning
  • Other expenses including food, childcare, and healthcare related to the disruption of campus operations

Lost wages are not considered by the federal government to be an eligible expense.

How will the funds be distributed?

The University’s HEERF Student Share Grant Funds policy addendum outlines the process by which students will be able to apply for grants for the summer and fall academic terms and how they will be awarded and paid.  Approximately $1.5 million of HEERF Student Share funds remain available as of September 30. Applications submitted through October 14 will be included in the priority application period.

Updates concerning available funds will be posted to LUC.edu/heerf.

Where can I find more information about HEERF Grants?

If you have any questions, please contact the HEERF Student Share Grants Team at HEERFGrants@LUC.edu or visit the website LUC.edu/heerf.

Center for Student Assistance and Advocacy (CSAA)

A broad array of help for student concerns

What is it?

We understand that some students may face financial or other hardships that are not directly covered by the parameters of the Loyola Commitment or the HEERF Student Share Grant Funds.  For such situations, Loyola’s Center for Student Assistance and Advocacy (CSAA) is designed to address student needs and help students find a broad range of additional resources and support. 

Under the Office of the Dean of Students, the CSAA provides support, coordination, case management, and resource referrals for student concerns across the University. Students can visit the CSAA website for existing resources on financial wellness and food/housing security, or contact the CSAA directly with specific concerns.

How do I apply?

No application is required to request assistance from the CSAA. Please visit LUC.edu/csaa to learn more.