Loyola University Chicago

Financial Aid Office

How to file to a Complaint with IBHE and HLC

Participants in Title IV Federal Financial Aid under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, are required to direct students to a state agency for assistance with unresolved complaints. Related regulations require all Title IV participating institutions, regardless of the origin of their state authorization to operate, to comply with state agency complaint process and to communicate such information publicly. Under Federal rule 34 CFR §600.9 and §668.43(b), Title IV eligible institutions must make available to students or prospective students, upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation and state authorization. The institution must provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and the state.

Students can file a complaint with the state of Illinois via the Illinois Board of Higher Education's (IBHE) Complaint System. Students can also file a complaint with our accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, using their Complaint Procedures.