Recommended Syllabus Statement:
Loyola University Chicago provides reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Any student requesting accommodations related to a disability or other condition is required to register with the Student Accessibility Center (SAC). Professors will receive an accommodation notification from SAC, preferably within the first two weeks of class. Students are encouraged to meet with their professor individually in order to discuss their accommodations. All information will remain confidential. Please note that in this class, software may be used to audio record class lectures in order to provide equitable access to students with disabilities. Students approved for this accommodation use recordings for their personal study only and recordings may not be shared with other people or used in any way against the faculty member, other lecturers, or students whose classroom comments are recorded as part of the class activity. Recordings are deleted at the end of the semester. For more information about registering with SAC or questions about accommodations, please contact SAC at 773-508-3700 or SAC@luc.edu.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
It is the responsibility of the entire Loyola University Chicago community to provide equitable access to students in all courses, programs, services, and activities. Faculty play a fundamental role in providing equitable access to students with disabilities. As a Loyola University Chicago faculty member, you have the following rights and responsibilities:
- Identify and make visible (e.g., on your syllabus) essential functions, abilities, skills, knowledge, requirements, and standards for courses and activities, and to evaluate students on this basis regardless of disability
- Request verification of a student's eligibility for any requested accommodations. The verification will be in the form of a letter written by a member of SAC’s staff and delivered electronically via Accommodate. SAC is the only office designated to review disability documentation and determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations
- Receive information regarding the need for an accommodation in a timely fashion
- Collaborate with SAC if an accommodation seems unreasonable or imposes a fundamental alteration of the course, project, or activity
- Share information on how students with disabilities can request an accommodation by including a notification statement in the course syllabus
- Provide or arrange for the implementation of reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments, and auxiliary aids and services for students with disabilities as outlined in the accommodation notification letter
- Collaborate with SAC to develop reasonable modifications that do not interfere with essential course or program elements. Faculty should contact SAC in a timely manner if there are questions or concerns about requested accommodations or need assistance in implementing accommodations
- Maintain confidentiality of all accommodation notifications and disability-related communications except where permitted or required by law or when the student requests that such information is shared
It is student’s choice whether or not to disclose the nature of his/her disability to faculty. Conversations relating to a student’s disability should occur at a time and in a place that allows faculty to provide individualized attention and confidentiality. SAC is committed to ensuring all information and communication pertaining to a student’s disability remains confidential as required or permitted by law. Please see the Confidentiality page for more information.