Crime Alert – Criminal Sexual Abuse Reported in 6700 Block of North Sheridan Road
November 4, 2016
Campus Safety is writing to alert you to a criminal sexual abuse that occurred last night at approximately 8 p.m.
A Loyola student was walking in the 6700 block of North Sheridan Road and was approached by a group of five male juveniles. The student was verbally harassed by the group before being groped by one of the offenders. The group then fled but was located nearby and detained by Campus Safety.
If anyone has information on the incident, please call Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE.
Please also keep the following risk-reduction tips in mind:
- Always stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings. Refrain from using headphones or talking on the phone, as this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat.
- Be wary of unsolicited strangers. If someone approaches you on the street, keep moving and try to avoid additional contact. If possible, cross the street or change your direction.
- If a person threatens you, follow any demands and run away as soon as it is safe to do so. Once in a safe place, immediately notify Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
- If you see something you believe to be suspicious, immediately contact Campus Safety or the Chicago Police Department.
- Investigative follow-up will be dependent on the amount of detail a person can recall. It is important to remember as many identifying characteristics about the offender(s) as possible. This can include physical characteristics of the person, their clothing, any weapons used, direction of flight, etc.
Campus Safety recognizes that survivors are not at fault for any crime. Students who are seeking resources related to gender-based violence can contact the Wellness Center at 773.508.2530 or visit the Coordinated Community Response Team website. Faculty and staff in need of resources are encouraged to utilize the University’s Employee Assistance Program.
Deputy Chief, Campus Safety