Second Stage Lab
The Second Stage Laboratory projects are intended to expand the applied student-led educational opportunities in the Theatre Department. It is a laboratory for experimenting with theories, ideas, methods, materials, etc. found in the classroom and an opportunity to put theories learned in the classroom into practical application.
Proposals will be considered on an annual basis. There will be a call for participation during the fall semester for the upcoming academic year. Projects will be approved and organized prior to the registration period for subsequent fall semester. Depending on the nature of the project it may qualify for different types of academic credit. These are typically THTR 323: Rehearsal and Performance, THTR 324: Applied Design and Management, or Independent Study, but it could take other forms.
There are many different forms a Second Stage Laboratory project could take, depending on a student’s research interest and their desired learning outcomes. Click to see full descriptions of Project Models.
Application and Timeline
A call for participation will happen on an annual basis, usually in November, with proposals being due early in the Spring semester to align with the Mainstage season announcement, course planning and external funding opportunities.
The Second Stage Laboratory project proposal application period for academic year 2023-2024 opens November 7, 2022 and closes January 29, 2023.
Students may submit a written or video application. Once applications are closed, the Second Stage committee will review applications and invite select applicants to interview.
Applicants will be prompted as part of their submission to include:
- Copy of resume outlining relevant production experience
- Copy of supporting materials (if you are referencing or using a text, or if there are existing materials that inspired the project)
- A draft budget outlining resources requested (if applicable)
- It is encouraged that if one's project is writing-based, to include a sample scene, etc.
NOTE: If you have more than one project idea, please submit separate proposals. There is a three proposal limit for any one student per semester. If you have any questions about the application process, please direct them to April Browning, Second Stage Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
- Proposals should be focused on new learning outcomes.
- Projects that remount a previous production are not encouraged.
- Stronger proposals are ones where the topic or idea is new to the student, where the project can be one that is a reflection of learning in the time since being at Loyola.
- Material that has been published and the student does not have the rights to at time of application or isn't in the public domain will not be considered at this time. Our production capacity does not currently accomodate seeking the rights to material for students. Options may include looking at material in the public domain or developing original materials.
LUROP Provost Scholarship:
Students seeking significant funding for conference attendance, speciality technical equipment and/or summer training should strongly consider a LUROP Provost Fellowship proposal. For more information, visit the Undergraduate Research page for more information on the Loyola Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (LUROP).
If accepted, a student's LUROP research project could be folded into a proposal next year for a Spring Second Stage presentation. Please follow-up with Lee Keenan (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss this opportunity.
Timeline of important dates and deadlines:
|Application OPEN||November 7, 2022|
|Second Stage Applications Due||January 29, 2023|
|Interviews Conducted||February 6-10, 2023|
|Second Stage Projects Announced||February 27, 2023|
|Production Staff Petitions Available||February 27, 2023|
|Production Staff Petitions Due||
March 12, 2023
If you are interested in being considered for a Second Stage opportunity, apply now:
Should you have any questions about the application process, please contact April Browning (email@example.com) Chair, Second Stage Lab Committee.
Current Second Stage Committee members include: Lee Keenan, Clare Roche, DeRon S. Williams, Tim Mann, and April Browning.