Academic Requirements for Admission
The academic prerequisites to be considered for admission to the BS/MS program in Applied Statistics are as follows:
- Successful completion of MATH 161, 162, 263, STAT 203, and three courses (9 credits total) chosen from MATH 212 and 300-level mathematics or statistics courses with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. For students pursuing the BS degree in Mathematics and Computer Science, the 300-level courses may include computer science courses. For students pursuing the BS degree in Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics, the 300-level courses may include physics courses;
- A cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher for all course work at Loyola;
- Satisfactory progress towards completion of Loyola’s core.
Current Loyola students who have met the above academic prerequisites are to apply between January 15 and March 15 of their junior year. Students who have an interest in the program are encouraged to consult with the Graduate Program Director for Applied Statistics Timothy O'Brien in the semester prior to their application. Students who have substantial transfer or AP credit, or wish to finish the combined program in less than five years, should discuss the timing of their application with Dr. O'Brien. The student should then fill out the on-line Graduate Application Form through the Graduate School web-site. The application will be evaluated upon completion of the following:
- The Graduate Application Form; applicants are to select the BS/MS option;
- A one page personal statement of purpose; this is inserted as part of the Graduate Application Form;
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Loyola University.
Note that the GRE exam is not required for applicants to the BS/MS program. There is no application fee for applicants who apply on-line. At the time of consideration for admission, the student’s most recent Loyola transcript will be examined. If the applicant has transfer credits from another college or university, the student may be required to submit those as well.