BS/MS Program in Applied Statistics
The BS/MS program in Applied Statistics is a five-year program that gives academically successful Loyola undergraduates the opportunity to pursue the MS degree in Applied Statistics while completing their BS degree. The applicant can be pursuing any of the BS degrees offered by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. There are several advantages to enrolling in the BS/MS program.
- The MS program requirement to take the GRE is waived for students applying to the BS/MS program. The application fee to the program is also waived.
- Students can begin taking their Masters courses during their senior year of undergraduate study.
- The MS program in Applied Statistics requires 30 credits of graduate courses. This generally takes one and a half years to complete. Students in the BS/MS program are permitted to “double count” up to three of their Loyola 400-level STAT courses for both their BS and MS degrees; since this depends upon whether the BS is in Data Science, Mathematics or Statistics, speak with the Director for further details. Hence BS/MS students are required to take as few as 21 credits (instead of 30 credits) of additional 400-level courses in the fifth year, and can ﬁnish the program in ﬁve years.
Requirements for Completion of the BS/MS Program
After admission to the BS/MS program, students may take up to three 3-credit 400-level STAT course during their senior year. These credits are then “double counted” for both the BS and MS requirements. Students generally take the remaining 21-credits of 400-level classes during their ﬁfth year. This schedule can occasionally be modiﬁed for students with AP or transfer credit or for students willing to take a 400-level STAT course as an undergraduate general elective course who desire to ﬁnish the combined program in less than ﬁve years. Students in the program are expected to consult regularly with the Graduate Program Director to insure that they are on track for completion of both the BS and MS degrees. The following are required to complete the BS/MS degree program in Applied Statistics:
- Successful completion of one of the BS degrees in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics; these include Data Science, Mathematics and Statistics. It is expected that the student complete all degree requirements for their chosen BS degree two semesters before completing the MS degree;
- All 400-level graduate statistics courses (including the core graduate statistics courses STAT 401 Introduction to Applied Statistics Using R, STAT 403 SAS Program & Appl Stat, STAT 404 Probability & Statistics I, STAT 405 Probability & Statistics II, STAT 407 Statistical Design, STAT 408 Applied Regression Analysis, and STAT 495 Statistical Consulting Capstone and the remaining 3-credit 400-level STAT electives) must be completed with a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
If you have additional questions about the program, please contact Timothy O'Brien, Graduate Program Director for Applied Statistics.