Crime Alert - Shots Fired at 835 N. Michigan Ave.
March 2, 2018
The Department of Campus Safety is writing to notify you that shots were fired this evening at the Water Tower Place shopping mall, 835 N. Michigan Ave., near the Water Tower Campus.
There are no reports of anyone struck, but the gunman is still at large. The shooting did not take place on Water Tower Campus and the individuals involved are not affiliated with Loyola University Chicago. The Chicago Police Department is investigating the case. If anyone has information regarding this incident, please call Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
The safety of all members in our community is Campus Safety’s top priority. While our department continues to patrol on and off campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week, we do ask that you please keep the following risk-reduction tips in mind:
- Always stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings. Refrain from using headphones or talking on the phone, as this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat.
- Be wary of unsolicited strangers. If someone approaches you on the street, keep moving and try to avoid additional contact. If possible, cross the street or change your direction.
- If you see something you believe to be suspicious, immediately contact Campus Safety or the Chicago Police Department.
- Investigative follow-up will be dependent on the amount of detail a person can recall. It is important to remember as many identifying characteristics about the offender(s) as possible. This can include the license plates of any involved vehicles, physical characteristics of the person, their clothing, any weapons used, direction of flight, etc.
- If you see something you believe to be suspicious or need to report a crime, immediately notify Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
Deputy Chief, Campus Safety