Crime Alert - Strong-Arm Robbery near Rosemont and Winthrop
March 19, 2018
Campus Safety is writing to notify you about a strong-arm robbery that occurred near the Lake Shore Campus at approximately 12:52 a.m. today.
A Loyola student was approached by three male offenders in a dark colored vehicle in an alley near the intersection of West Rosemont Avenue and North Winthrop Avenue. The offenders threatened the student, stole the student’s cell phone, and fled northbound down the alley. Detailed descriptions of the offenders are unavailable at this time.
Campus Safety is working closely with the Chicago Police Department on the investigation. If anyone has information on the incident, please call Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263. The Chicago Police Department also continues to investigate leads related to other recent violent incidents in the district, and any new updates will be posted to the 24th District Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy (CAPS) and CLEARMAP websites.
Please also keep the following risk-reduction tips in mind:
- Always stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings. Refrain from using headphones or talking on the phone, as this minimizes your ability to hear an approaching threat. It also advertises to a would-be thief that you may have a desirable item to steal.
- Be wary of unsolicited strangers. If someone approaches you on the street, keep moving and try to avoid additional contact. If possible, cross the street or change your direction.
- If a person threatens you, follow any demands and run away as soon as it is safe to do so. Once in a safe place, immediately notify Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the Chicago Police Department via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263.
- Investigative follow-up will be dependent on the amount of detail a person can recall. It is important to remember as many identifying characteristics about the offender(s) as possible. This can include the license plate of any involved vehicle, physical characteristics of the person, their clothing, any weapons used, direction of flight, etc.
- If you see something you believe to be suspicious, immediately contact Campus Safety or the Chicago Police Department.
Campus Safety recognizes that survivors are not at fault for any crime. Students who are seeking resources related to acts of violence can contact the Wellness Center at 773.508.2530 or visit the Community Coalition on Gender-Based Violence website. Faculty and staff in need of resources are encouraged to utilize the University’s Employee Assistance Program.
Deputy Chief, Campus Safety