Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)
Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) is a secure database that can be accessed through the web with user-friendly options for designing data entry forms and surveys. Data entered in REDCap can be exported in a variety of formats from a simple spreadsheet to import formats for analysis with statistical software such as SPSS, STATA, and SAS. REDCap also has features that make is suitable for clinical research such as double data entry, user access groups, and longitudinal designs.
Loyola has two REDCap instances, called the Internal REDCap site and the External REDCap site. The Internal REDCap site is used for the majority of projects and can only be accessed from an internal Loyola enterprise network connection. This means it can be accessed while on campus or while using the Loyola Secure Access VPN from off-campus. If you are not sure which site you will need, start with the Internal REDCap site since projects (set-up and data) can be migrated to the external site later as needed.
The External REDCap site is a separate site that can be directly accessed from outside the Loyola enterprise network. Only studies with activities that require direct external access will be approved to use the External REDCap site. These activities include e-consent of study participants, distribution of surveys to study participants, and coordination of multi-center trials. External REDCap users must utilize multifactor authentication (MFA) and have valid Loyola University Chicago (LUC) credentials or be registered and active as a “non-affiliate person” (NAP).
Resource available to the following users:
Use of REDCap is available to all Loyola University Chicago faculty and their research team.
Requests for REDCap access require:
- Please request Internal REDCap access by contacting Joe Koral.
- Please request External REDCap access using the External REDCap Access Request Form in the IT Service Portal.
Current REDCap resources:
- General information about REDCap and training videos can be found at Project REDCap
- Loyola Internal REDCap website (Must be on a Loyola internal internet network or using Loyola Secure Access)
- Loyola External REDCap website (Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Instructions)
- Help with REDCap database design can be requested from the Clinical Research Office
- Instructions on how to REDCap Migrating a Project from the Internal to External REDCap sites.
- Please contact the Informatics and Clinical Research team with inquiries