Welcome incoming Music students! We have compiled a number of resources which you may find helpful as you navigate the process of visiting, auditioning, and settling in to your new home at Loyola. Feel free to browse the items below.
The Music Major requires a two part application process: an application for admission to the University and an application to audition for the major. These auditions typically take place in the beginning of February. For more information about Music Major Auditions, click here. Contact Anthony Molinaro if you have any questions: email@example.com
FALL Music Convocation
All music students are invited to attend this informal info session. Meet the faculty and learn about all the happenings in the Music Program.
- Date: Tuesday, August 31 | 4:00pm (CST)
- Register Here
It is recommended that incoming Music Majors register for the following courses:
- MUSC 114: Music Theory 1 (3 credits)
- MUSC 145: Musicianship Lab 1 (1 credit)
- MUSC 380: Applied Lessons: (1 credit)
- Ensemble Course: (1 credit)
- MUSC 261: Lyric Diction I (for Freshman in the Vocal Performance Concentration)
Participating in an ensemble is a great way to be a part of a supportive community, while pursuing musical excellence and relieving stress. Freshmen are encouraged to join an ensemble, and many students participate in an ensemble all four years. All ensembles are open to both majors and non-majors:
- Symphony Orchestra (MUSC 105): M/W 4:50pm - 6:20pm
- Jazz Ensemble (MUSC 109): M/W 2:50pm - 4:20pm
- Wind Ensemble (MUSC 110): T/TH 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Percussion Ensemble (MUSC 111): M 7:15pm - 9:45pm
- University Chorale (MUSC 107, Section 101): M/W 2:50pm - 4:05pm
- Women's Chorus (MUSC 107, Section 102): T/TH 1:15pm - 2:30pm
- Women's Chamber (MUSC 107, Section 103): T/TH 3:00pm - 4:15pm
- Liturgical Choir (MUSC 108): W 5:30pm - 8:00pm
- Chamber Choir (MUSC 207): M/W 5:30pm - 6:45pm (by instructor consent)
Download our Ensemble Flyers:
- Symphony Orchestra Orientation Flyer
- Jazz Ensemble Orientation Flyer
- Wind Ensemble Orientation Flyer
- Choral Orientation Flyer
Ensemble Auditions (New Students):
Students should register for their first ensemble choice, then sign-up for an audition time according to the chosen ensemble. Students interested in Chamber Choir should register for Chorale (MUSC 107, Section 101) and will be moved to Chamber Choir following the audition if placed in that ensemble. For audition information and sign-up, click here.
Enrollment in Applied Lessons is not guaranteed and students will be asked to apply each semester to receive applied instruction. Students whose major or minor require Applied Lessons will be given priority according to the following structure:
- Music Major Students: One MUSC 380 course and up to two additional MUSC 280 each semester. Students must submit a separate application for each course.
- Music Minor Students: One MUSC 280 course each semester
- Non-Music Students: By audition only as space allows
Applied Lessons Audition Information (New Students):
All new students - regardless of major or minor - must submit the application with an audition video by the due date to be considered for Applied Lessons.
- The audition video should include a performance of one selection that demonstrates the student's ability. Students can choose a complete piece or an excerpt in any style and there is no requirement of length.
- Video should be uploaded to YouTube, marked as "Unlisted", and the URL should be copy/pasted into the online application form.
- You will receive an email notification of Applied Lessons placement no later than two weeks after the submission deadline. If you are accepted into an Applied studio, the department will automatically enroll you for the class.
- Applied Music Application can be accessed on the Music Program website.
- New Student Application Deadline: Friday, August 6, 2021
Questions regarding applied lessons should be directed as follows:
- Vocalists contact Kirsten Hedegaard at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instrumentalists contact Haysun Kang at email@example.com
Concerts and Recitals
Click here to browse our upcoming Music concerts.
To see a complete listing of student music groups, visit Student Activities & Greek Affairs.
Student Diversity & Multicultural Afairs
The Department of Student Diversity and Multicultural Affairs (SDMA) at Loyola University Chicago advances the recognition and appreciation of our diverse community, promotes multicultural education across campus, strives to ensure the retention and success of underrepresented students, and fosters a supportive, inclusive environment for all students, faculty and staff.
- LGBTQIA Initiatives
- QUEST (Queer Undergraduates of Empowerment, Support & Triumph)
- STARS (Students Together Are Reaching Success)
- LUCES (Loyola University Chicago Empowering Sisterhood)
- Brothers for Excellence (B4E)
Connect with us!
Make sure to set up a visit to the Music department if you would like to learn more about our program and facilities. Note that this is a private tour, separate from the general campus tour.
Remember to register for Freshmen Orientation this summer! Loyola University Chicago Orientation (LUCO) for first-year students is a summer-long online experience comprised of a variety of opportunities to introduce you to academic and student life at Loyola.
Instrument rental is available for Loyola students on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here for more information about instrument rental and storage.