Campus Safety Update - Remain Vigilant
The Chicago Police Department (CPD) is continuing to investigate the two homicides that occurred in the Rogers Park neighborhood half a mile north of Loyola’s Lake Shore Campus. The University is liaising with the CPD, providing assistance where possible, and closely monitoring the progress of the investigation. We strongly encourage members of the community to remain vigilant and take the following steps to further protect yourself and stay informed:
- Do not walk alone. If you do not have someone to walk with, please utilize the free 8-RIDE van transportation system for students, running to and from the Lake Shore Campus from 6:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Monday to Friday, and more often on weekends. There will be an increased 8-RIDE presence over the Halloween weekend, Saturday, October 27, and Sunday, October 28, and on Halloween, Wednesday, October 31. All available vans will be deployed from 6:30 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. Check the 8-RIDE website for hours and service territory. If you need immediate service due to circumstances out of your control, you are encouraged to contact Campus Safety dispatch for transportation assistance. Campus Safety officers are also approachable for rides when on the street and not responding to emergencies.
- Use Blue Light emergency phones. Over 400 emergency phones are located inside buildings and throughout the grounds of our Lakeside campuses, providing a direct connection to Campus Safety’s emergency dispatch.
- Follow Loyola’s official Twitter feed which will carry updates as needed.
- Also, make sure you are registered with Loyola Alert to receive text updates for extreme emergency situations impacting the campus.
- Check out the Loyola Campus Safety website for updates. Likewise, check the CPD's website and follow its Twitter feed. If you have any information relating to these homicides, please contact the CPD at CPDtip.com or 312.744.8263.
- If a person threatens you, follow any demands and run away as soon as it is safe to do so. Once in a safe place, immediately notify Campus Safety at 773.508.SAFE or the CPD via 9-1-1 or 312.744.8263. Additionally, if you see something you believe to be suspicious, immediately contact Campus Safety or the CPD.
- Contact the Campus Safety Dispatch Center at 773.508.SAFE any time you need assistance or if you see something that may be unsafe.
Campus Safety remains committed to ensuring the safety of all our students, faculty, and staff. We are here to help.
Chief Thomas K. Murray
Director of Campus Safety
Loyola University Chicago