Key Academic Policies Information
For information about many important issues, please go here.
For a list of Graduate School Key Dates and Deadlines, click here.
For even more specific information, especially about Incompletes, etc., download the Academic Policies form at the top: current version (8/23/2013)
Please visit the links below to view tools and resources about personal finance and financial literacy geared specifically towards graduate students:
History Graduate Program Handbook
You will find much information about the program and your responsibilities in the Graduate Program Handbook. See information of all processes here.
Requirement Tracking Spreadsheets
Please ask the History Graduate Assistant or Director for a shared Advising Spreadsheet. These are presently managed through LUC.BOX.COM. You need to constantly update this form with reference to your LOCUS course records so that you can be sure that all degree requirements are being completed. Place each completed course in the sheet according to the requirement it fulfills. You must also keep track of your Comprehensive Exams, Research Tools, RCRS compliance, etc., on this form. This will be shared with the GPD and your Advisor so that we can all make sure you are meeting requirements correctly. It will also be the basis for reports to the Graduate School about your progress, so you are REQUIRED to update it at the end of every semester.
Here are blank forms for each program category. You can download and fill these out (adding your last name to the start of the filename) and either upload to your Box account or send to the Graduate Programs Assistant for processing.
Requirement Form - Accelerated PhD Students
Requirement Form - Joint-Public PhD Students
Requirement Form - MA (Standard) Students
Requirement Form - PhD (Standard) Students
Requirement Form - Public History MA MLIS Students
Requirement Form - Public History MA Students
Forms on GSPS
ATTENTION: Almost all of the Forms necessary for your progress are to be filled out in the Graduate School Database (GSPS)—https://gsps.luc.edu—and, are initiated by you. Some require faculty and GPD responses required by GSPS, but you start the process by logging in and following the GSPS directions. These include:
- Change in Degree Seeking Status
- Comprehensive Exam
- External Awards
- Internal Awards
- Leave of Absence
- Merit Awards and Fellowships
- Research Tools
- Thesis/Dissertation Committee
- Thesis/Dissertation Proposal
- Transfer of Credits
A few forms are still to be downloaded, filled out, signed electronically, and submitted to the Graduate Program Assistant via e-mail. We have tried to make this possible with the electronic PDF files, below. Simply download the desired PDF and fill it out electronically (the files MUST be downloaded first—they cannot be filled out in a browser's 'preview' window). They can then be signed using Adobe Reader X and Adobe Acrobat 8 or newer, if you have it. (See instructions for Reader, below.) If you have any other questions about filling out an electronic form, please send an email to the director.
Instructions for Completing and Signing Forms Using Reader:
- Obtain Adobe Reader X or newer, and install on your computer: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Download the necessary form below to your hard drive (don’t just open it in your browser).
- Open the form in Adobe Reader (or Acrobat if you have it).
- Fill in text boxes with required information.
- If a signature is necessary, DON’T CLICK “SIGN” at the top. INSTEAD, click “EXTENDED” at the top far right.
- Under “Extended,” click “Sign Document.”
- Follow instructions to sign: select area around the Signature Box, then click.
- If this is the first time you have done this, you will need to create a signature ID. Do so and then click OK.
- Save the file with your name at the start or end of the original filename, and then return it as an email attachment to the Graduate Programs Assistant for further processing.
- Audit Request
- Directed Primary Research Request (This is the form you use for your Master's Essay - HIST 599)
- Extension of Time
- Graduate Course Registration Plan
- Internship Form (For Public History Internships, please refer to specific guidelines, here.)
- Internship: Supervisor Evaluation Form (Your supervisor must fill this out upon completion of the internship.)
- Late Application to Receive a Degree
- Re-Application for Admission
- Reimbursement Form
- Reinstatement Request
- Request for Course Title (This is what you use to arrange Directed Studies (499s), Independent Studies, etc.)
- Transfer of Credits Worksheet
Field Examinations Instructions
- Field Examination Instructions (See these full instructions about the examination process.)
- Field Examination Committee Form (This is what you must fill out, and have all committee members sign, to set up your examination Committees.)
- Field Examination Results Form (**This form is filled out by Faculty Examiners and submitted electronically to GSPS**)
Thesis and Dissertation Materials
- Instructions for Thesis and Dissertation
- Sample Oral Defense Announcement
- Approval Ballot for Text and Oral Defense (This must be completed by the student and committee as soon as the Defense is done. You can print and complete this form by hand at the end of the session and submit to the Graduate Programs Assistant immediately for processing. The Graduate School requires a scanned copy of this.)
Graduate Reading Lists
(Please see ALL written instructions regarding these in the Field Examination Instructions link above)
- Black Chicago (Civil Rights, Great Migration, Politics, Social Conditions)
- Colonial North American and British Atlantic History
- History of American Sexuality
- History of U.S. Immigration and Ethnicity
- Medieval History
- Modern Europe History
- North American Indian History
- North American Urban History
- U.S. History, 1800-1899
- U.S. History, 1900-present
- U.S. Women & Gender History