Loyola University Chicago

The Graduate School

Financial Assistance and Funding

Graduate students fund their education in a variety of ways, including both internal funding options housed within the Graduate School as well as funding sources outside the university (see external funding sources below). Below you will find resources for both internal and external funding options.

Inspired by our commitment to live our social justice values and provide an exceptional student experience, Loyola offers its graduate assistants a competitive package of services and financial aid and learning development resources. For more specifics, please see LoyolaForYou.

Graduate assistantships are awarded to students with excellent academic records and scholarly promise. The awards ordinarily include a stipend, tuition scholarship, and health insurance coverage and are renewable. Stipend amounts for currently range from $18,000 to a maximum of $26,000.

Departmental Assistantships are divided into Teaching Assistantship Guidelines and Research Assistantship Guidelines. Accordingly, a student who accepts an assistantship is required to provide teaching or research assistance, or to engage in other duties relevant to the discipline and program. Assistantship duties should provide students with educational and professional benefits while enhancing their pedagogical, research, and/or administrative skills. Assistantship duties cannot exceed 20 hours per week and students are not allowed to hold additional employment while holding an assistantship. Students should contact their graduate program director for details regarding eligibility, application procedures and deadlines, stipend levels, and specific expectations required of recipients.

Applying for Departmental Assistantships

Awardees are chosen from among applicants for admission and no additional application material is required.  Admission does not guarantee funding.

Unless otherwise noted, the deadline for consideration for merit awards is February 1 or earlier if the department requires. The application for admission as well as all supporting documents (e.g., transcripts and letters of recommendation) must be on file by the award deadline.

Fellowships are similar to assistantships in that they provide stipends, tuition scholarships, and health insurance; however, most fellowships do not require service on the part of the student. Recipients of fellowships administered through university must adhere to the merit award policies in addition to the requirements of the fellowship.

Applying for Fellowships

Each fellowship has unique application requirements so it is important to carefully read the guidelines and deadlines for each award. Fellowships are open only to current students. Below is a comprehensive list of Loyola University fellowships. 

Arthur J. Schmitt Dissertation Fellowship in Leadership & Service (2020-2021)
Arthur J. Schmitt Dissertation Fellowship Announcement
- Schmitt Dissertation Fellowship Application (PDF) (DOC)

Teaching Scholars Fellowship (2020-2021)
- Teaching Scholars Announcement
- Teaching Scholars Application (PDF) (‌‌DOC)

Research Experience for Master's Programs Project (2020)
REM Project Announcement and Application (DOC)
REM Project Announcement and Application (PDF)

The purpose of DFI is to increase the number of underrepresented faculty and staff in Illinois institutions of higher education and higher education governing boards. DFI is a statutorily authorized program that directly addresses educational disparities. A DFI Fellow must be an Illinois resident and U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident alien who is a member of an Underrepresented Group.  Black/African American, Hispanic American, Asian American, American Indian or Alaskan Native. "Traditionally underrepresented minority group" means any of the minority groups designated in the Public Act which are represented in Illinois post-baccalaureate enrollment at a percentage rate less than the minority group's representation in the total Illinois population. The Public Act further specifies that to be classified as an Illinois resident, an applicant must possess a high school diploma or postsecondary degree from an accredited Illinois educational institution or have lived in Illinois for at least three years.

Loyola is not currently accepting applications for the DFI program. More information about DFI may be found at the official website.

Awards (i.e., assistantships [internal as well as funded by grants or outside agencies], fellowships, and tuition awards) are guided by policies set forth by each specific award, general award rules and regulations, and the academic policies found on the Graduate School website here. A summary of the Graduate School's award policies are listed below. A more in-depth explanation of our Award Policies.

  • Deadline for Acceptance of an Award: Each award letter includes a deadline by which the student is to formally notify the Graduate School of his/her decision regarding the acceptance of the award.  The award acceptance deadline for incoming students admitted for fall is April 15, which conforms to the notification deadline set forth in the ''Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees, and Assistants'' published by the Council of Graduate Schools.
  • Formal Notification of Acceptance: In order to notify the Graduate School formally regarding acceptance of the award, the student must accept the award on GSPS by the appropriate deadline.
  • Eligibility to Hold a Award: To be eligible to receive and continue to hold a award, the student must: [a] be in good academic standing and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (which includes having no more than 1 outstanding incomplete by July 15) [b] comply with the Graduate School’s standards of academic honesty and the university code of conduct, and [c] perform satisfactorily assigned assistantship duties. Additionally, Attoh Diversity Fellowships, Crown Fellowships, Teaching Scholars Fellowship, and the Schmitt Fellowships are all considered full-time.  Accordingly, recipients cannot hold outside employment during the academic year or, in the case of students holding a 12-month appointment, during the calendar year.  Students holding an academic year appointment are free to pursue employment opportunities during the summer months.  Failure to fulfill these requirements may result in the immediate termination of the merit award.
  • Assistantship Responsibilities: Assistantship duties are assigned by departmental, college, or school administrators.  Assistantships are to provide students with educational and professional benefits, enhancing their pedagogical, research, and/or administrative skills.  All assistantship activities must be supervised by appropriate faculty or staff. Assistantship duties cannot exceed 19.5 hours per week.
  • 12-Month Appointments: Students on 12-month assistantship appointments must register for an appropriate course during the first summer session.  Without summer enrollment, the stipends are no longer protected from FICA deductions.
  • Restriction on Multiple Awards: The Graduate School does not permit students to hold simultaneously more than one full assistantship or fellowship.  
  • Renewal of Awards:  Awards are for one academic year only.  Contact your graduate program director for detail information regarding renewal of awards.

If you are chosen to receive an assistantship or fellowship, you will be e-mailed a letter stating the terms of your award such as the length of the award period and the amount of stipend and tuition scholarship you should expect to receive. Awards do not cover University student fees (e.g., the University Services and Programs, CTA U-Pass, Late Registration, and Late Payment fees).

An accept/decline option will be included in your electronic award letter along with a link to The Graduate School merit award policies. Once you have read and agreed to the terms of your award and policies, you must select the option to accept the award on your electronic award letter. Please contact the Awards Coordinator if you are having technical difficulties accepting the award. Award letters are sent in June for the following academic year. In the case of multi-year assistantships, a student may not have any more than one outstanding incomplete grade by July 15, or the assistantship will not be renewed.

If you are receiving a stipend payment for the first time, you will need to fill out new hire paperwork. The new hire packet must be brought to The Graduate School along with the appropriate ID for the I-9. You will not receive payment until all of the paperwork is sufficiently filled out and submitted.

Stipend payments are made once a month on or around the 15th of each month. If you do not receive your stipend payment on this date, please notify The Graduate School immediately. Stipends, tuition, and other awards, such as health and dental insurance, are taxable unless exempt under the Internal Revenue Code (www.irs.gov). Additional information may be found in IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education (www.irs.gov/publications/p270). You should consult a tax advisor regarding the taxability of these awards to you under the Internal Revenue Code. As discussed in the Graduate School’s terms and policies, Loyola is not required under Section 6041 to file a return of information (W-2 or 1099) to report a non-service fellowship. However, you may have an obligation to include the fellowship in your gross income. Please review IRS Topic Number 421. If your fellowship has a service requirement, you will receive a W-2 for your stipend.

Along with stipend payments, some assistantships come with tuition awards. Tuition awards pay the tuition for only those courses that count toward the fulfillment of degree requirements and are limited by the number of credit hours required for the student to complete the program's degree requirements (e.g., if a student is in a program that requires 60 credit hours of graduate coursework, once the student has completed the 60-credit-hour degree requirement, the tuition scholarship normally will not pay tuition for additional credit hours).

Students are responsible for paying tuition for any courses not eligible for payment by tuition awards.  Recipients of tuition awards must register for classes no later than July 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for the spring semester.

Full-time awards come with health and dental insurance coverage for the student. Students may purchase supplemental insurance for a spouse/significant other or family, rates and additional information can be found on Bursar’s Office webpage.

To receive student health and dental insurance benefits, students must be registered for classes no later than July 1 for the Fall semester of the upcoming academic year. To accept the award and coverage, students must "Fast-Track" into the plan by logging into LOCUS and clicking on the "Student Health Insurance" link in the "Campus Finances" section. Fast-tracking into the insurance confirms accepted coverage, activates enrollment into the plan, and generates an insurance ID card.

If a student has insurance coverage, he or she must waive out of student health insurance coverage. To waive out, students must log on to LOCUS and click on "Student Health Insurance" in the "Campus Finances" section by October 1 of the academic school year.

For the most up-to-date information regarding insurance information and requirements, please see the Bursar's web page at http://www.luc.edu/bursar/insurance.shtml.

Stipend payments may be subject to Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax. There are, however, a number of exceptions to the FICA tax; for example, student employees who are enrolled and attending classes on at a least half time basis may be exempt. For more information about this, please read Loyola's Student Employment FICA Exemption Policy.

Information can also be found at www.irs.gov – Internal Revenue Service Website
IRS Pub 970: Tax Benefits for Education
IRS Pub 501: Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information 

Students may obtain support from faculty members who receive funding from sources outside the university (e.g., research grants).  The Graduate School normally matches funding from external sources with tuition awards. 

The Graduate School also encourages students to apply for funding from sources outside the university. A list of external monies available to graduate students is available through our page of External Funding Sources.

The Office of Research Services also provides an extensive lists of searchable databases that contain funding opportunities, http://www.luc.edu/ors/externalfunding.shtml.

The Graduate School encourages students to present their work at conferences throughout the United States and abroad. The Graduate School provides up to $500 for conference travel related expenses. Please note that travel awards are only available to students whose programs are housed on the lakeside campuses. Students enrolled in graduate programs at the Health Sciences campus should consult with the Graduate School at the Health Sciences Division or the Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing for travel-related funding programs.

To be considered for funding, you must apply BEFORE your conference at https://gsps.luc.edu. You will receive an email to your luc.edu email account when your application has been approved. Funds are limited and only one travel request per student can be granted per academic year. For more information, and for the schedule of applications, see Graduate Research Conference Travel

Presenting at conferences outside the United States

Students traveling abroad must abide by the university's International Travel Policy‌. Travel awards will include assistance with the fee for Insurance for International Travel.


The Graduate School will reimburse graduate students for up to $300 for expenses related to the research and preparation of a dissertation, thesis, or major research paper if applicable. The Graduate School will only grant one research funding award per student, and reimbursement for the funds must be claimed within the same academic year. To apply, please submit a Research Funding Request Form.

Note: Research Funding is only available to students whose programs are housed on the Lakeside Campuses.

The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) is committed to helping students finance graduate education. Our financial assistance professionals will work with you to create a package that makes the most of the available financial resources. As partners, we’ll work together to reach toward a common goal: making your Loyola education achievable and affordable.

For more information about financial assistance, check out these publications:

All students receiving any type of award (assistantship, fellowship, or tuition) are encouraged to also file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Loyola’s federal school code is 001710. Students without funding as well as students anticipating supplementing their assistantship or fellowship support with loans must file a FAFSA.  There are no priority filing deadlines for graduate students, but students should submit the FAFSA as early as possible. 

The Center for Experiential Learning seeks to serve students, faculty, staff and community partners of Loyola University Chicago as a resource for experiential learning opportunities and partnerships. The Center can assist graduate students with finding internships and community based federal work study.


Internships offer students an opportunity to put their knowledge to work in an applied setting while learning the dynamics of particular workplace settings.  Many programs require or encourage internships as part of the degree process.  While many of these experiences offer course credit rather than more direct financial remuneration, others offer students stipends to cover their time in the field. Students interested in internships should work with their programs as well as utilize the resources available in the Center for Experiential Learning (http://www.luc.edu/experiential/academicinternships/index.shtml).

Community-Based Federal Work-Study

Graduate students eligible for work-study as part of their financial aid packaged can work on campus or at a community-based service organization. Per Federal regulations, FWS monies fund 75% of student workers' salaries at community-based service sites; the agency must fund the other 25% of student workers' salaries. For further information visit the Center for Experiential Learning’s website (http://www.luc.edu/experiential/federal.shtml).

Many departments in the University hire graduate students on a part-time basis.  Listings for these opportunities can be found on Handshake. Please visit the Career Development Center website for more information about Handshake in addition to other job search services the Center offers. The mission of the Career Development Center (CDC) at Loyola University Chicago is to counsel, educate and empower the Loyola student and alumni community.

The Installment Plan (iPlan) is an optional arrangement to make educational payments more affordable by spreading payments over a selected number of monthly installments instead of making one payment each semester. Loyola's in-house iPlan is available through LOCUS (Loyola's Online Connection to University Services), to help you and your family customize your budget for the upcoming academic year.

Loyola Installment Plan benefits include:

  • Additional monthly installment options
  • Clear, step-by-step budgeting process
  • Streamlined account information

Loyola's iPlan is available in a variety of monthly options. For more information on The Installment Plan (iPlan), please visit http://www.luc.edu/bursar/iPlan.shtml#enrollment.

Students can use the charge authorization form to add Rambler Bucks to your Campus Card for buying textbooks at the Follett Campus Bookstore. You may add funds to your card in increments of $100 to $800 without pre-paying. The charge will be added to your student account and must be paid in full along with all other tuition and fees.

Students can only submit one form per term, and must comply with the assigned deadline for each term. If a student is unsure of the total cost of books, supplies and other expected purchases, the Card Office suggests requesting a greater amount on the Charge Authorization Form. Any funds not used in the purchase of books, supplies, etc. at the bookstore are non-refundable, but can be used at any location Rambler Bucks are accepted, as listed. Graduate Students: If you are a quarter semester student, please contact the Card Office for more information.

If you have questions, please contact the Campus Card Office at campuscard@luc.edu.  

Current Awardees

Research Funding & Grant Funding Resources

Other Resources and Funding Sources

Students should also familiarize themselves with the Financial Aid Office's statement on student rights and responsibilities.