WTC Academic & Administrative Buildings
Lewis Towers (1926)
Built for the Illinois Women's Athletic Club in 1926, the building originally known as Tower Court had a pool, bowling alley, and gymnasium in addition to offices and lodging. During World War II the US Naval Reserve Misdhipmen's School used the building to train officers and provide cover for a counter-espionage unit. In 1946 philanthropist Frank J. Lewis purchased the building and gifted it to Loyola University. Renamed Lewis Towers, 2,000 students arrived at the new downtown campus for the fall of 1946. Lewis Towers housed offices, classrooms, and the Julia Deal Lewis Library (Lewis Library).
Maquire Hall (1978)
Constructed specifically as the new home of the School of Law, the James F. Maguire, SJ, Hall was named after a former president of Loyola University. The building housed classrooms, offices, a courtroom for mock trials, and an auditorium. Today Maquire Hall is the home of Arrupe College.
Schreiber Center (2015)
Named for alumnus John Schreiber (class of 1970) and his wife, Kathy, the John and Kathy Schreiber Center opened in 2015. This 10-story building features the Gorman Family Great Stairs on the first floor, modeled after the Spanish Steps in Rome, and is the home of the Quinlan School of Business.
Corboy Law Center (1994)
Opening in July 1994, this 16-story building was known as 25 East Pearson Street and was originally the home of the School of Business Administration. It was renamed the Philip J. Corboy Law Center after the School of Business moved to a new building and the School of Law moved in. In addition to the School of Law, Corboy is the home of the Lewis Library.
Further information about Loyola's Water Tower Campus can be found in Loyola University Chicago by Kathryn A. Young and Ashley Howdeshell (The Campus History Series, Arcadia Publishing, 2020). Available at https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781467105590 .