Study in Rome
The IPS Summer Rome program provides a unique opportunity to experience firsthand the historical, cultural, and spiritual benefits of the Eternal City and the Vatican. Led by faculty members with longstanding personal relationships with local academic and ecclesial leaders there, the program is designed for students of the IPS but is open to others. Participants are able to draw upon the invaluable resources of Loyola’s half-century presence running a campus for students of various ages and degree programs who choose to study in the Eternal City. International study scholarships and prorated payment plans make the cost feasible for full- and part-time IPS students. Often the richly diverse classes include non-degree seeking students interested in personal enrichment or those earning graduate degrees at other institutions as well.
Looking to make the most of your summer travels, while learning along the way? The IPS Rome program offers learning and cultural experiences that you can’t find in a classroom in Chicago. Join us one summer to:
- Complete a core course towards your degree
- Reconnect with your spirituality while living in the Eternal City, Rome
- Combine classroom lessons and adventures abroad
In addition to classes, students tour some of Rome's most famous landmarks and attractions, including the Colosseum, St. Peter's Square, and much more.
This academic year trip is scheduled for
June 17-27, 2018
Two courses will be offered and may be taken for graduate credit or audit, participants choose only one:
These courses are taught during Loyola’s summer session C, an 8-week summer term that runs from June 4 to July 27, 2018. The courses are taught as hybrid courses, with online content and course requirements both before and after the time spent together in Italy. Courses include on site visits to important sites and class time. Free time is built into the schedule so that you can further explore Rome on your own.
The base cost of $1995.00 includes:
- A double-occupancy lodging in Rome (Please add $500 for single occupancy.)
- All breakfasts, some lunches and dinners, tickets to attractions and museums, and required Italian documents.
- Students must register for the course in LOCUS and pay tuition for the course in addition to the base cost.
- IPS students are eligible to apply for international study scholarship: International_Study_Scholarship_Application
- A deposit of $500 is due by Feb 5th, payment 2 is due on March 5th, and the final payment is due on April 2nd if choosing not to pay in full at time of purchase.
The base cost does not cover airfare, transportation to and from the airport, extra-curricular traveling and activities, some lunches and dinners, and other personal expenses.
If you are:
- A Loyola student and wish to take the course for credit or audit, you need to register for the course through LOCUS. Tuition for the course is separate from the base cost of the program and is paid through the Loyola e-bill system.
- A student from another university and wish to take the course for credit or audit and have it transferred back to your school, or a Loyola alum and wish to take the course for credit or audit, you must first apply to IPS as a graduate non-degree seeking student for the summer semester and then register for the course through LOCUS. The online application can be accessed at https://gpem.luc.edu/apply/.
To learn more, please contact IPS enrollment advisor Kristin Butnik at 312-915-7484 if you are a new student; or, Bianca Bulliner if you are a current student at 312-915-7487
Rotation of Future Classes
2018 (June 17-27) – IPS 599: Theology of Pope Francis and IPS 416: Christian Origins (NT)
2019 – IPS 402: Church and Mission and IPS 599: Theology of Pilgrimage