LSC Academic Buildings
Dumbach Hall (1908)
Designed by architect Paul V. Hyland in the Mission style, Dumbach Hall was the first building on Loyola's Lake Shore Campus. Originally the home of Loyola Academy, it became a college classroom building in 1957 when Loyola Academy moved from Rogers Park to Wilmette, Illinois. Dumbach Hall is named for Henry J. Dumbach, S.J., the president of St. Ignatius College who purchased the original 19.6 acres of land establishing the Lake Shore Campus.
Michael Cudahy Science Hall (1912)
Also designed by architect Paul V. Hyland, the second building on the Lake Shore Campus, the Michael Cudahy Science Hall, was the first building in which college classes were held. Built in 1912, it is named for prominent Chicago philanthropist and co-founder of the Cudahy Meat Packing Company Michael Cudahy. Due to a lack of money, a telescope was never installed in the observatory.
Elizabeth M. Cudahy Memorial Library (1930)
Built in 1930, the Elizabeth M. Cudahy Memorial Library was designed by noted Chicago architect Andrew N. Rebori. It is named for Elizabeth M. Cudahy, wife of prominent Chicago philanthropist and co-founder of the Cudahy Meat Packing Company, Edward A. Cudahy. Cudahy Library is in the Classical/Moderne-style with Art Deco decorations. Around the top of the building are academic disciplines in Latin.
Flanner Hall (1976)
Named for School of Law alumnus Thomas U. Flanner III, an advocate of private education, Flanner Hall was built in response to the need for a dedicated chamistry building. It opened in for classes in 1976.
Loyola Information Commons (2008)
Opening in 2008, the Information Commons is designed to be an enviornmentally sustainable building featuring a green roof. The names of famous philosophers, theologians, and saints are found around the top of the building, thus making it a link between Madonna della Strada Chapel and Cudahy Library. It was designed by architecture firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz.
Crown Center for the Humanities (1984)
In 1984 the Edward Crown Center for the Humanities opened as the new home for all of Loyola's humanities departments. Named for a 1929 graduate of Loyla's medical school, Edward Crown, the building was constructed to facilitate an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and research in the humanities.
Institute of Environmental Sustainability (2013)
The Institute of Enviornmental Sustainability, designed by architecture firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz, opened in 2013 on the former parking lot of Mundelein College's Wright Hall. The building features classrooms, research and teaching labs, a biodiesel lab, and an urban agricultural greenhouse connected to a residence hall.
Mundelein Center (1929)
Designed by Narine W. Fisher in the Art Deco style, the Skyscraper was built for Mundelein College, an all-women's college founded by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (B.V.M.) and located next to Loyola's Lake Shore Campus. The building underwent a multi-year renovation starting in 2004, and in 2012 was renamed the Mundelein Center for the Fine and Performing Arts.
Michael R. and Marilyn Quinlan Life Sciences Education and Research Center (2004)
Dedicated in 2004, the Quinlan Life Sciences Center joined Flanner Hall and Damen Hall to provide educational and research space for the hard sciences on the Lake Shore Campus. It is named for alumnus Michael R. Quinlan and his wife Marilyn.
Cuneo Hall (2012)
In 2010 Damen Hall was demolished to be replaced with a Mission-style building echoing the style of Dumbach Hall and Cudahy Science Hall in 2012. Cuneo Hall is named for Loyola benefactors John and Herta Cuneo, Jr., and features a green roof, classrooms, and offices.
Centennial Forum Student Union (1968)
Part of the James J. Mertz, S.J., complex that was part of Loyola's centennial building plan, the Centennial Forum Student Union (CFSU) replaced the Wilson Hall campus center as the place for student activities and events. It is named in honor of Loyola's centennial in 1970.
BVM Hall (1959)
Originally called Wright Hall and built as the residence hall for the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM) community of Mundelein College, today the building is known as B.V.M. Hall. Loyola purchased the building from the BVM's in 2011 and until 2013 it was used as a residence hall. In 2013, the building was turned into offices and classroom space.
Doyle Center (1980)
Flex Lab (2018)
Ralph Arnold Fine Arts Annex (20??)
The Ralph Arnold Fine Arts Annex is named for a Chicago artist and former chair of the Fine Arts Department.
Piper Hall (1914)
Built in 1909 for Albert and Cassie Wheeler, Piper Hall was originally known as Wheeler House. Mundelein College acquired the property in 1930 and it served as the college library until 1967 when Sullivan Center was built. In 1975 the building was renamed Piper Hall in recognition of Virginia and Kenneth Piper's many contributions to Mundelein College.
Further information about Loyola's Lake Shore Campus can be found in Loyola University Chicago by Kathryn A. Young and Ashley Howdeshell (The Campus History Series, Arcadia Publishing, 2020). Available at https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781467105590 .