Hiring a Student Worker & Processing HR Paperwork
The Loyola payroll system is utilized to pay both undergraduate and graduate students who work for the university. All student workers are limited to 19.5 hours of work per week, and are paid hourly for their work.
Student Worker Classification
- In order for a student to be classified as a student worker, the student must be enrolled for the semester that the student is employed on-campus.
- A student who was enrolled for the spring semester, and intends to enroll in the fall, may be eligible for summer student employment.
Below are detailed step-by-step instructions regarding the paperwork a department needs to process and submit to Human Resources for each student that is hired/re-hired, which includes the ePAF Form, the New Hire Packet and I-9 Form. Always use Loyola Secure Transfer to send Human Resources any forms that contain personal and sensitive information. More about Loyola Secure Transfer can be found here.
Step 1 - Submit an ePAF Form: The department must submit an Electronic Personnel Action Form (ePAF) for all student worker employment actions including: new hires, rehires, budget and salary changes and terminations. Information needed on the ePAF includes effective date of employment (includes training/orientation), position number, department name and hourly wage. *Please note that the ePAF is electronically completed and submitted to HR for processing.
Step 2 - Is your student worker a new hire (first on-campus job)?
- Yes –Continue to Step 3 - New Hire Packet must be completed
- No –Continue to Step 4 - Rehiring a Student Worker
Step 3 - Submit a New Hire Packet: The department should provide a New Hire Packet to the student and the department should submit the completed New Hire Packet to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) for processing via Loyola Secure Transfer. Every student worker must submit the New Hire Packet once to Human Resources and this typically takes place with the student’s first on-campus job. Students may not begin working until Human Resources has received the completed New Hire Packet, including the completed I-9 form.
Additional information and helpful resources regarding the information that is collected in the New Hire Packet are noted below:
- The I-9 form is included in the New Hire Packet. Please review the Federal I-9 form resources webpage.
- Every student worker must submit this form once and typically takes place with the student’s first on-campus job. Students may not begin working until Human Resources has received the completed I-9 form.
- How to obtain a Social Security Card if you are an international student on a F-1 or J-1 visa?
- Additional information regarding the process, including documentation needed in order to obtain a Social Security Card, is found on the International Student and Scholar Services webpage.
- Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance
- Any International Student receiving payment from Loyola must sign up for an account with the GLACIER System, the online Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance System, in order to determine appropriate tax withholding from pay. More information about Nonresident Alien Compliance can be found on the Loyola Financial Services webpage.
Step 4 - Rehiring a Student Worker (held an on-campus job before): The department should confirm if any of the student's personal information like mailing address, tax withholding, direct deposit information, etc. needs to be updated with Human Resources. Change of address, federal tax withholding and direct deposit information can be updated by the student via the Employee Self-Service (ESS) Portal at https://ess.luc.edu/.
Step 5 - Human Resources Paperwork Processing Deadlines: All employment paperwork including ePAFs and completed New Hire Packets are due to Human Resources no later than the Wednesday prior to the end of the bi-weekly pay period. The payroll calendar can be viewed online.
Step 6 - Recording work hours to pay your Student Worker: The student's department supervisor is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the hours students work are submitted and approved each pay period. Hours are submitted through KRONOS Timecard. KRONOS Timecards questions should be directed to Payroll at 312-915-7444 or email@example.com.
Additional information and resources are listed below. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-915-6175.
*FICA Tax Exemption - The student worker must be enrolled and attending classes on at a least half time basis, either in an undergraduate or graduate program of Loyola University Chicago, during the semester/quarter in which the work is being performed. More on the Student Employment FICA Exemption Policy can be found online.
- Hiring Managers can access the Electronic Personnel Action Form online: ePAF Login
- Access to ePAF can be gained by submitting an ePAF request form. Once access is assigned you will receive a “Welcome to ePAF” e-mail with instructions on how to use the system.
- Always use Loyola Secure Transfer to send Human Resources new hire packets and other forms that contain personal and sensitive information.
- Career Development Center Manager Resources: https://luc.edu/career/studentemployment/managerresources/
- You can update your Direct Deposit, Federal W-4 Withholding information, and change your address with Human Resources via the Employee Self-Service Portal (ESS) at https://ess.luc.edu/. Additionally, you can review your sick leave balance in ESS.
- Student Worker Employment Guide - Learn more about practical resources and information about specific Human Resources topics, such as Loyola policies, online forms and other time-saving resources, to help you in your day-to-day role as a student employee:
- Student Employment Opportunities posted via Handshake: https://luc.joinhandshake.com/login
- Career Development Center Student Resources: https://luc.edu/career/studentemployment/
- Student Employment FICA Exemption Policy: https://www.luc.edu/finance/student_fica.shtml
- All International (NRA) Faculty, Staff and Students who are working, or receiving taxable scholarship/fellowship/grant/stipend payments, must sign up for an account with the GLACIER System in order to determine appropriate tax withholding from paychecks and other payments. GLACIER is the Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance System: https://www.luc.edu/finance/nracompliance/
- International faculty, staff, and students interested in learning more about Loyola's services and programs designed to connect our international community across the University and throughout Chicago, can contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office: https://www.luc.edu/iss/index.shtml
- Learn more about how to obtaining a Social Security Card: https://www.luc.edu/iss/studentemployment/obtainingasocialsecuritycard/
Effective July 1, 2017, hourly paid student workers will accrue at the rate of 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked, with a maximum of 40 accrued hours within a 12 month period. Accruals begin from an employee’s date of hire and employee's are eligible to use sick leave after they have completed their first ninety (90) days of employment.