Smoking Cessation Resources
Loyola University Chicago is committed to providing a healthy campus culture for all faculty, staff, and students. Part of the University's wellness commitment includes providing smoking cessation programs and resources designed to help individuals lead a healthier lifestyle. Please review the following advocacy programs and resources that are available to Loyola’s faculty & staff members in order to support smoking cessation—leading to a healthier lifestyle.
- Students: Wellness Center resources include individual consultations and referrals to local programs. Loyola’s Safety Net website also provides resources for students and families seeking policies, support, and cessation tips for alcohol and drug use.
- Faculty and Staff: Smoking cessation resources include the Aetna Tobacco Cessation Journeys program as well as access to licensed professionals, videos, and articles through the Perspectives Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The Perspectives coaching program focuses on the individual to develop a successful path to smoking cessation and living a smoke-free lifestyle.
Alternatively, feel free to review each of the options listed below in a printer-friendly version: Smoking Cessation Programs and Resources
- Username: LOY500
- Password: perspectives
Once you are logged into the Perspectives website, please select “Health,” and choose “Smoking” in order to access a number of smoking cessation videos and articles, including a 55 days to quitting program.
Appointment times/General Information
Licensed professionals are available for appointments on weekdays from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. In addition, Perspectives offers 24-hour/7-days-a-week emergency services.
Perspectives provides one-on-one coaching sessions to help participants learn about contemporary resources to help you and/or your family members stop smoking. Call 800.456.6327 to schedule an individual and confidential appointment with a licensed professional.
Aetna Tobacco Cessation Journeys* program provides you with multi-stage lessons that can guide you through the process of quitting tobacco permanently. Online courses include:
- TOBACCO CESSATION: MAKE YOUR DATE TO QUIT (2 STAGES): You can quit! Just take it one small step at a time. In this Journey, you will set a date. Then you will start practicing what it is like to be smoke-free by starting to say good-bye to those triggers. It is all about being ready when your quit date comes.
- TOBACCO CESSATION: NOT READY TO QUIT (3 STAGES): Not ready to quit? Not a problem. This Journey is about getting to know the routines, motivations, and triggers in your life that lead to a smoke. Step back and see your smoking from a new angle—on your terms and your timeline.
- TOBACCO CESSATION: READY, SET, STOP SMOKING! (4 STAGES): You can quit smoking once and for all by practicing one small, doable—even fun—step at a time. First, set your quit date. Then start prepping your mind, body, and environment. When your quit date arrives, you will be ready to stop!
- TOBACCO CESSATION: STAY ON TRACK, STAY QUIT (3 STAGES): Even the most devoted quitters face temptation. Practice easy ways to build the new life you want and the habits you need to stay quit for good.
- TOBACCO CESSATION: SMOKELESS TOBACCO TAKEDOWN (4 STAGES): This Journey is for smokeless tobacco users who are ready to quit in the next few weeks or months.
To get started, go to www.Aetna.com/Loyola and log in to your secure member website. Click on the Health Assessment link under the "Stay Healthy" icon to answer some health questions in the Health Assessment. After taking the health assessment, results will show particular areas employees may wish to focus on to improve their health. Online health coaching programs ("Journeys") will become available to you on the topic of smoking cessation, among a variety of health and wellness coaching topics.
*Aetna’s Journeys program is only available to participants enrolled in one of Loyola University Chicago’s medical plan options.
- Information about starting a Quit Plan today
- Material about managing your cravings
- An option to sign up in order to receive free 24/7 smoking cessation assistance texted to your mobile phone.
- Counselors are on call 7 days a week from 7:00AM – 11:00PM to provide the support you need to break the habit!
Medicine and products for quitting smoking or chewing tobacco are considered no-cost preventive services. For a list of covered products, please refer to the No-Cost Preventive Care List at www.caremark.com.
Note: Your doctor must write a prescription for these preventive services to be covered by your plan, even if they are listed as over-the-counter.