Summer and Fall 2019 Documents
- Externship Pearson Instructions (printed step-by-step instructions)
- Pearson Video Tutorial (a video tour of Pearson)
- Rule 711 of the Illinois Supreme Court allows law students to engage in the limited practice of law, under the supervision of a licensed attorney, subject to conditions. Students may be asked to complete a 711 application form for an externship.
- 711 Application forms are available through the Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts.
- First-time 711 applicants should fill out the form titled Application for Certification-Senior Law Student. Note that students must have completed a minimum of 43 credit hours at the School of Law to apply. The Law School Registrar's Office will sign a student's application after verifying credit hours completed.
- Students already holding a 711 license who intend to use it under the supervision of another attorney or agency should fill out the form titled Notice of Additional or Change of Employing Agency/Supervising Attorney.
State's Attorney Externship Materials
Internal Revenue Service
Experiential Learning Variance Application (for Weekend JD students only)
Announcements, Events, and Deadlines
Experiential Learning/Externship Information Sessions
Students interested in participating in the Externship Program for academic credit must attend an information session. The schedule for fall 2019 sessions will be posted before the start of the semester.
The location of the sessions will be listed in Law School Announcements and on the website at https://luc.edu/law/currentstudents/externships/
Judicial Externship Collection Deadlines
Students interested in securing a judicial externship through the law school’s collection process must adhere to the deadlines listed below. The collection of these documents utilizes the Pearson System. Collection dates for the 2019-20 academic year will be posted during the summer.
For the spring 2019 semester
September 7, 2018 through September 21, 2018 (please note this deadline has passed)
For the summer 2019 semester
January 25, 2019 through February 6, 2019 (please note this deadline has passed)
For the fall 2019 semester
March 18, 2019 through March 29, 2019 (please note this deadline has passed)
Internal Loyola University Chicago School of Law School
Externship Application Deadlines
Students interested in participating in the Externship Program must submit their internal application for approval to Megan Bess by the following dates:
Summer 2019 semester: April 22, 2019
Fall 2019 semester: July 22, 2019
The Sixth Annual Building a Community of Legal Professionals
Professionalism in the Legal Workplace Workshop
Students who are enrolled in the externship or who plan to enroll in the Externship Program during the 2019-20 school year are required to attend this workshop. Students who are working in any other legal capacity (as interns, volunteers, clinicians, or in compensated positions) during this time period are encouraged to attend as well. Please see the May 2019 Professionalism Workshop for more details and registration instructions.
Date: May 10, 2019
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Location: Philip H. Corboy Law Center
Power Rogers & Smith Ceremonial Courtroom, 10th Floor
25 E. Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611