What is OneDrive?
OneDrive is an integral part of Microsoft 365 and provides place in the cloud where you can store, share, and sync your work files. You can update and share your files from any device with OneDrive. You can even work on Office documents with others at the same time.
Microsoft OneDrive has been recognized as a cloud storage leader, delivering workplace productivity, file sharing, and content management capabilities which are increasingly powered by cognitive content services. Several benefits for Loyola are highlighted below:
- Storage Capacity – All users are allocated 5 TB of storage in OneDrive for Business.
- Sharing - All files that you store in OneDrive for Business are private unless you decide to share them. However, you can share files and folders with specified co-workers so you can collaborate on projects. With OneDrive for Business, you can also share files / folders with individuals outside Loyola.
- Real-Time Collaboration – OneDrive for Business supports real-time collaboration. Multiple people can edit documents at the same time, eliminating the need for emailing documents or saving additional versions on network drives.
- Windows 10 Integration - The OneDrive for Business client is included, no need to download additional software to synchronize files/folders.
- Office 365 Integration - OneDrive for Business is already included for all students in Office 365 and is integrated into the email web client.
- Security - OneDrive should be used to responsibly store files in compliance with the Loyola Cloud Computing Policy Cloud Computing Policy.
When to Use OneDrive for Business
Everthing in OneDrive for Business is private by default. All content is tied to your account and you are in control. Below are common use cases for OneDrive:
To access OneDrive, login through https://portal.office.com. When prompted, enter your Loyola email address and you will be redirected to enter in your Loyola UVID credentials. Once logged in, you will have access to all resources assigned in Microsoft 365, including OneDrive.
Additional information and help topics for OneDrive are available on the Microsoft 365 website:
- Learn the basics of OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Video-What-is-OneDrive-work-or-school-10f5c3fd-b0f6-40e2-9059-04735ffe01b7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
- How to quickly get up an running with OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneDrive-for-Business-Quick-Start-a1397e56-61ec-4ed2-9dac-727bf8ac3357?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
- Additional information and best practices for sharing files and folders: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Video-Share-files-and-folders-with-Office-365-72f26d6c-bf9e-432c-8b96-e3c2437f5b65?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
- General help topics for OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-US/client/results?Shownav=true&lcid=1033&ns=Groove&version=16&omkt=en-US&ver=16&HelpId=ODB_Overview